Saturday, December 15, 2012

Unhappy Trails

I learned something about myself today.

I do NOT like trail runs!

More specifically, I do NOT like trail runs in Florida!

To catch up on my half marathon training plan, I was attempting a 7-8 mile run today.  I decided to try out the Doris Leeper Spruce Creek Preserve near my house, which has a 7-mile trail, as well as many other loops.  It was the perfect place for me to run 7-8 miles in a new setting.
Pretty scenery
The trail was beautiful and very well marked.  There were many different loops to choose from, and I went with the 7-mile loop, which was one-way and hit all the view points.  It also had "Bail out" trails along the way that met up with other trails in the park.

I was rockin' and rollin' for the first mile, as the trail was very solid.  There were twists, turns, and roots, but I was not bored.

I began struggling around mile 1.4 where the trail turned in to the usual dirt in Florida: sand.  As I mentioned last week, I find sand very challenging to run on.  I like my feet to hit a solid surface, but I feel like I'm sinking when I'm running on sand.  I tried and tried to push myself, but it just wasn't happening.

I took bail-out trial C, completed the Inner Loop trail, then headed to the parking lot.  I ran when the ground was solid and walked briskly on the sand.

Overall, I completed 3 miles.  I was walking for most of the time, hence the slow time.  I was a little disappointed to not get in my long run for the week, but at least I got outside and enjoyed the nice weather.

Since the trail run didn't work out, I'm planning on doing my long run tomorrow by running on the sidewalks around where I live.  Considering the fact that my half marathon will be on roads, I think that's the best way for me to train.

Back tomorrow with the week's recap, an update on my long run tomorrow, and a recap of the last two sermons in the Climate Change series!  Happy Saturday!

1 comment:

  1. Trail running is so tough. Don't beat yourself up too much about your time. Hope your long run went great today!

    ReplyDelete