Saturday, December 1, 2012

My first 10K

What a way to start a Saturday!  I woke up at 6:45, ate some Cherrios (breakfast of champions!), then headed to New Smyrna Beach for the Ed Root Memorial 10K.  This was my first 10K, and my goal was to run a mile, walk .1 in order to finish with under a 11:00 minute/mile pace.

When I arrived, I started getting in to the competitive atmosphere.  I'm not usually really competitive, but it was a small crowd so I got in the mood to run my best.

The course was absolutely gorgeous!  We started on Flagler Ave, one of the main roads in NSB, ran through a nice neighborhood right next to the beach, then on to the boardwalk in Smyrna Dunes Park.
Source
This was my favorite 1.5 miles of the run.  We ran over the boardwalk through the dunes, got a great view of the ocean, and even got to see the beautiful Ponce Inlet Lighthouse.
Source
I really hate that I don't have a smart phone/mp3 player with a camera on it so that I could actually use my own pictures to show y'all the gorgeousness!

My official time was 1:04:30, which was a 10:30 pace.  I was really pleased with this, as it met all of my goals for the race.  My Garmin told me something a little bit different, which is probably due to the fact that it also told me I ran 6.35 miles:

I went there by myself (I let Joe sleep in and get started with our party preparations), so here's a selfie of me after finishing.

Not a large post-race selection, but I grabbed a cinnamon raisin bagel, which was quite tasty

This makes me really excited for the half marathon in February.  Plus, it earns me 6.2 points in the HBB Challenge!  I should get all my 7+ freggies today as well :)

I also got this adorable package in the mail when I got home!
I LOVE the idea of sending a gift to ask someone to be a bridesmaid.  This is from my friend Valerie, and I am so honored to be up there with her in August!  Congrats to Valerie and Nick!!

Joe and I are hosting an SEC Championship watching party, so it's time to get cooking/baking.  I guess for the day, I will be a full-fledged Georgia fan since my Hokies aren't playing today.  Hope everyone has a great Saturday, and Go Dawgs!!  Sic' Em!

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on your first 10K and hooray for meeting all of your goals for the race!

    ReplyDelete