Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Pregnancy Update: 33 Weeks + 5 Things NOT to Say to a Pregnant Woman

Hey there!  What's going on?  My procrastination has turned in to a busy week + lack of blogging yesterday.  I think I was able to get ahead with some things last night, though (thanks to multitasking--work project + blogging + The Bachelor + playing with the pup), so I shouldn't disappear any more this week!

Well, let's jump right in to today's post, shall we?  It's time for a pregnancy update!

Pregnancy Update: 33 Weeks

How far along? 33 weeks (and two days)

Baby Bump progress: I feel like Baby Fish grew a bunch this week!

Baby's Size? a durian...about 4.5 pounds and 18 inches long.  The doctor estimated that Baby Fish was 4 pounds last Tuesday, so that's about right!

What's happening this week?  
  • More brain development this week
  • Bones are starting to harden
  • Keeping his/her eyes open while awake
  • Beginning to coordinate breathing with sucking and swallowing
Total weight gain/loss: As of last Tuesday's appointment, 21.4 pounds total since the first appointment.  Although, I'm having trouble remembering the starting weight...I keep inverting numbers, but I think I've got the right starting weight!

Stretch marks? sadly, I discovered a few new ones in the chest region this week :-\  You better believe that I'm back on the regular cocoa butter application now!  Thankfully, after talking with a few friends with infants, they said they had the same thing happen and they went away fairly soon after birth.  Thank goodness, because these things aren't pretty!

Sleep: I just was not able to catch up on sleep last week from the Super Bowl, even though I was sleeping pretty well.  Thank God for the weekend, because I was able to rest up and feel much better so far this week!


Best moment this week: having a good doctor's appointment last Tuesday!  I met the last doctor at my OBGYN group (I see each of the four doctors throughout the pregnancy), and she is awesome.  It's always good to get a good report, too!  Now I'll start going more often from here until the end of the pregnancy.


Miss anything?: fitting in to my normal clothes--not much is fitting anymore!, being able to reach down comfortably, breathing deeply, being able to get up from a low-sitting chair/my car easily, alcohol, and exercising comfortably

Movement: oh, lots!  It's crazy how much Baby Fish is moving.  I watch my whole stomach move around, and I've started being able to feel limbs/body parts when they're pressing again my stomach.  So crazy!

Food cravings: like last week, nothing specific, but when I get the taste for something, I have to have it!  This week, it's been some Starbucks and Girl Scout Cookies.

Anything making you queasy or sick: not sick, but I have gotten a fair amount of acid reflux this week.  It usually happens after I've eaten poorly, so I'm working on better nutrition.

Gender: We'll find out when Baby Fish is born :)

Labor Signs: nothing this week (thankfully!)

Symptoms: 
  • acid reflux
  • shortness of breath when walking for a while/climbing lots of stairs
  • growing belly (I feel like it happens daily)
  • some feet/ankle swelling, particularly on days when I don't drink enough water

Belly Button in or out? still in, but it's flattening out (and pretty weird!)

Wedding rings on or off? on!  They do get a little tight when I get really warm, though

Happy or Moody?: mostly happy this week, but random things were making me tear up/cry this week.

Funny moments this week: On Sunday, I babysat the two boys I normally watch.  We were watching a show on Nick Jr., and it wound up being a math-y show!  I have to say, I was REALLY impressed!  I mean, this show was talking about dodecahedrons.  Many of my high school geometry kids couldn't tell me what that was!  Needless to say, Baby Fish will be watching this show once he/she is old enough :)  Gotta start 'em on the math track early!

Looking forward to: Valentine's Day this weekend, as well as continuing to work on decluttering/baby set-up!  It'll be nice to be able to tell people that we do have a room set up!

Exercise this week: This week was all about the walks.  I'm starting to feel more and more sluggish as Baby Fish grows, but walking is something I can still do fairly comfortably (and Tequila benefits, too!).  I also wound up not doing the 5K I signed up for on Saturday.  I woke up and just was not feeling like I could run that morning.  I still got in some activity, but I am glad I didn't run.
Tuesday-1.80 mile walk with Tequila
Wednesday-rest/busy day
Thursday-1.72 mile walk with Tequila
Friday-1.82 mile walk with Tequila
Saturday-about an hour of "outside time" with Tequila (running around, playing fetch, etc.)
Sunday-playing with the kids I babysat outside for a while
Monday-rest/busy day
I did get in some unconventional activity this week on top of my walks, so not a complete waste on the exercise front!

Baby Fish Feature: 5 Things NOT to Say to a Pregnant Woman
I've heard it all over the past 20 weeks (since we told people I was pregnant)!  I know people have the best intentions, but here's a list of things NOT to say to a pregnant woman, no matter what your intentions are!  If you do want to say something, I've suggested an alternative to have the same message without the negative connotation!

1. "Wow, you don't look very big for how far along you are!"
Even if this is true, just don't say it to the poor woman!  Two reasons for this one: first, she may worry that something's wrong with the baby--that's the last thing she needs!  Second, everyone's pregnancy is different, so just because she's smaller compared to another pregnant woman, she still probably notices every pound she's gained!  Hello, insecurity!  
Instead, say: "Wow, you look great!"

On the flip side...

2. "Look how big you've gotten!"
Yes, I'm sure the baby grew since the last time you saw this person.  But please, don't say it that way!  Comment on how the baby's grown, but don't tell the woman she looks big.  That comment + pregnancy hormones could lead to an ugly emotional outburst.
Instead, say: "Your baby is really growing!"

3. "I forgot to pick up the ____ you were craving"
Husbands: if you tell your pregnant wife you're going to pick up something she's craving and you don't, you best turn around and get it!  She's got her mind set on eating that thing, and if she's like me, she won't be able to rest until she eats it!
Instead, say: "Here, honey, I got your _______.  How about a foot massage, too?" :)

4. "You shouldn't be doing that, sit down and I'll do it for you"
True, pregnant woman should take it easy when it comes to lifting things, but don't tell a pregnant woman not to do something.  In most cases, she will let you know when she can't do something and needs help.  She doesn't need to hear what she can and can't do from other people.
Instead, say: "Let me know if you need anything!" or "Can I help?"

5. "Have you eaten lunch yet/Are you drinking enough water/Make sure you eat enough veggies!"
Just because she's pregnant doesn't mean she's COMPLETELY lost her mind.  Hopefully someone who is getting ready to have a child can take care of their own basic needs.  Let her take care of herself, unless you have a legit reason to be questioning her health.
Instead, say: "Do you want to grab lunch?" or "I have this great recipe to share with you!"

Question for you: Moms or other pregnant ladies-What else should people NOT say? 

2 comments:

  1. LOVE this! I've gotten so many ridiculous comments this pregnancy already, and I still have 15 weeks to go! #4 is probably my biggest pet peeve though - the people at my office literally wont let me lift an empty box! Even though I'm planning on going to a weight lifting class right after work! Bah! Let me do it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh I know. I was getting it a lot early on, and I was thinking "I'm not disabled, and I can still lift stuff!" It has gotten more difficult the further along I've gotten, but I do let people know when I can't do something! Until then, don't tell me not to :)

      Delete