Monday, February 24, 2014

Disney Princess Half Marathon Weekend Part Two: Expo

Hi everyone!  Well, I did it!
Half Marathon #5 is in the books.  It's pretty crazy to think that a year ago from today, I was riding high after completing my very first half marathon.  I never would have imagined that I would complete 4 more in a year's time with 2 (potentially up to 4) more already scheduled for the rest of 2014!

I'll do a full recap of the race tomorrow, but let's talk about the rest of the weekend first.  I attended the Kellsie's Krew Appreciation Dinner on Friday night, then it was time for the Fit for a Princess race expo on Saturday!

Even though I went to the expo last year, I was excited for this one because it was in a different location!  runDisney holds the expos at ESPN's Wide World of Sports, but last year, the Atlanta Braves had a spring training game there.  So, last year's expo was in the Coronado Springs resort on Disney property.  I was interested to see what the expo looked like at WWOS!
The first difference I noticed was the cool banners for each race as you walk up to the sidewalk to the main expo.  I'd seen a bunch of other runDisney runners post pictures of themselves in front of these at other expos, but I never saw them last year.  I had to take advantage of getting my picture taken in front of the half marathon banner!
I thought expo worked really well at WWOS.  There was a building dedicated solely to picking up your bib.  The t-shirt pickup and the exhibits were set up in the next building over.  I thought it would have made more sense to put t-shirt pickup with the bibs, but I guess they wanted everyone to walk through the Official Merchandise section :)
I took my time walking tried to purchase the exclusive New Balance runDisney shoes, but they were out of my size in the Minnie style :(  I did find my name on the New Balance participant wall, though!
I also met Jeff Galloway, Olympic runner and official runDisney training plan writer!  I told him how his run-walk method helped me train for my first half marathon last year, and that I still employ that method when my legs are tired.  He's so nice!
I signed up for the Women's Running Series Half Marathon in St. Petersburg in November, saw Atlanta Braves-themed Mickey Mouse,
tried some free samples from Clif and Luna Bar (new cookie dough protein bar is really good!!), rolled my IT band out with The Stick (GREAT invention, need to order one ASAP!), and I also purchased some sparkly things for my running costume the next day.
My Expo Haul
I had a great time at the expo and was getting excited for the race the next day!

Later on Saturday, I found out that my sister-in-law was in Orlando for a friend's birthday!  I met up with them while they were finishing up lunch and helped them celebrate National Margarita Day.
Then, we went and got pedicures!  I know people usually get those after a run, but I couldn't pass up the chance to catch up with Katherine (and get my nails done, too).  I had a fun afternoon with her and her friends!

When I got back to the hotel, it was time to carb-load for dinner, watch a movie, and get to bed early.  I had a 3:00 AM wake-up call for the race!  More on that tomorrow :)
Question for you: What's your favorite part of a race expo?  Are you a pedicure/margarita fan?

No comments:

Post a Comment