Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Feeling Charitable

I don't know about you, but lately I've been feeling frazzled and like I'm being pulled in 100 different directions!  I'm in the mood for a little feel-good post, so that's why I chose today's topic: being charitable!

I always feel warm and fuzzy after supporting a good cause or helping others, so I wanted to share some opportunities with you.  Feel free to participate in any or all of these causes!

-First, I am still raising money for the Kellsie's Hope Foundation in my training for the Disney Princess Half Marathon!
It has been very rewarding to raise money for families with children who have cancer!  My friends and family have been so generous, so now I know your help!  I have about $500 to go for my goal, and I need it very, very soon.  Click on the link above to hear more about the organization, or click here to donate toward my efforts.  Once you get to that page, just click on my name (Amy Herring), and you will be directed to a PayPal page to donate online.

-A reader Cameron contacted me about LungLeavin' Day.  In doing so, he told me the amazing story of his wife Heather.  Here is what he told me:
"Eight years ago, my wife Heather was diagnosed with mesothelioma; a rare cancer that kills most people within 2 years of diagnosis.  She had just given birth to our daughter Lily, and was only given 15 months to live.  After a life saving surgery that included the removal of her left lung, LungLeavin’ Day was born.  This will be the 8th year that we celebrate!"
Cameron and Heather put together this website talking about Heather's story and LungLeavin' Day, which they celebrate on February 2nd!  While we are a little late, I think we can all benefit from the tradition of their family to celebrate Heather facing her faces as she battled her mesothelioma in a dramatic way.
"The purpose of LungLeavin’ Day is to encourage others to face their fears!  Each year, we gather around a fire in our backyard with our friends and family, write our biggest fears on a plate and smash them into the fire.  We celebrate for those who are no longer with us, for those who continue to fight, for those who are currently going through a tough time in their life, and most importantly, we celebrate life! "
What a fantastic reminder for us!  I encourage you to check out their website (it is SO COOL!) and participate in celebrating LungLeavin' Day about 10 days late.

-Kathryn, one of my new favorite bloggers that I relate to so much, altered me to this great app in one of her recent posts.  It's called Charity Miles.

Charity Miles is an app that you turn on when you are about to bike, walk, or run.  You select the organization you wish to support, get moving, and earn money for that charity!  How cool!  I will most definitely be downloading and using this app on my runs, especially with two half marathons coming up.  What a great way to support great organizations while doing something good for you.

Question for you: Do you have a favorite charity or way to help others in need?  Share it with us!!

No comments:

Post a Comment