Friday, May 23, 2014

Friday Five 5/23: Eric's Getting Married!

Hello from Richmond!  Joe and I got in to the great state of Virginia last night around 10.  I have to say, it's great to be back :)

As I've mentioned before, we're up for my brother's wedding!  Eric is marrying is high school (well, really childhood) sweetheart Sara tomorrow!
From Eric's graduation last year
Eric and I have grown up knowing Sara and her family (her sister Elizabeth is a year older than me) because our parents were in the same Sunday school class.  It's going to be a lot of fun to see all of these people I've known since I was a kid!

In honor of Eric and Sara's wedding, I wanted to share five things about my brother that you may not know.

1) My brother and I have always been close.  

It's been great to have a close relationship with my sibling.  I know many people don't have that, and I'm so thankful that I do!  We never really fought when we were younger (except the occasional I-was-on-the-couch-first tussle), and throughout high school and college we hung out pretty regularly.

2) Eric played on the VT drumline and was the captain for two years!
Eric (on the right) meeting Erin Andrews after practicing on the field at the Sugar Bowl
Eric is a fantastic drummer!  It was so much fun to watch him play in the stands when going to the football games, especially when I knew he was the one "tapping off" the fight song when we scored.  Eric still plays drums at church now, and I hope he'll continue to play throughout his life!  Fun fact: he played on the drumline in high school while Sara was on the color guard!
High school Eric (white shirt in the front)
3) He is very knowledgeable about all things sports (particularly Virginia Tech sports).
Eric on the grill at a VT game in Pittsburgh--made it on ESPN!!
Eric is always reading sports websites, watching SportsCenter, and talking to people about sports.  I'm sure this love of sports come form my dad and our growing up around Virginia Tech football.  It's something that he and I like to talk about, too!

4) He is one of the nicest, most genuine people.
I'm not just saying this because he's my brother, either.  Throughout life, I can't tell you how many people have told me how much they like Eric, how incredibly nice he is, and how they feel like he cares about them instantly.  The reason is: he is and he does!  One example: when he got Joe and me a wedding gift, he found this grill and just thought it was the coolest thing and had to get it for us!  He was so excited to watch me open it, and we make sure to tell him whenever we use it.  So thoughtful and nice!  He really is quite a catch, and Sara is lucky to have reeled him in when they were young :)  Speaking of that...

5) I predicted the Eric and Sara would get married long, long ago.  
Sunset Beach group pic--Eric and Sara are both on the far right
I can't remember exactly when this happened, but at some point, after watching Eric and Sara hang out, I turned to my mom and said "I think those two are going to get married some day."  I also remember, after spending time on Sunset Beach with our families, turning to Sara's mom and telling  her the same thing as they were playing together in the ocean.

Eric and Sara have always been inseparable, so much so that I started calling them "Saric."  They say the best marriages start out as a good friendship.  If that's the case, then Eric and Sara are in for one fantastic marriage.  Eric, I wish y'all all the best, little bro!  Sara, I look forward to having a sister now!

And with that, it's time to go get ready for all the wedding festivities!!  Happy Memorial Day!  Thank you to all of our military, past and present, for your service to our country!

No comments:

Post a Comment