Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Reviews of Recent Reads

Hey everyone!  Anyone watch The Bachelorette finale last night?  I did!  As silly as it is to get so in to this show, I'm really happy for Andi and Josh!  I guess I'm a little partial to Josh since he's a UGA grad, and I married myself a UGA grad as well :)

Ok, let's get on to the ACTUAL post...

I usually share book reviews with y'all as soon as I finish reading a book, but the last one I did was way back in January!  I've definitely been reading since then, but I guess the books just haven't been worth talking about.  Well, on the last month, I've finished three books that I really, really liked, so let me share a short review about each of them.

The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult
Image Source
There's been a lot of buzz about this book recently, so I was excited to check it out.  At first, I had a hard time getting in to it, but once I did, I pretty much flew through it!  There were quite a few things that I loved about this book.  First, the story is told from four different perspectives, and I always love to see the same events through different people's eyes in a novel!  Second, once the novel gets going, the book talks about the Holocaust and World War II.  I find this period in history fascinating, and I very much enjoyed this part of the book.  Last, the conclusion of the book was not exactly what I expected, but I was very pleased with it.  I don't like knowing what's going to happen throughout the story, and Jodi Picoult certainly threw a few curve balls in throughout the story.  I actually gasped out loud when I read the last 3 pages of the book!  

The Storyteller is a fantastic novel, but I will say it is not light reading.  It will really make you think, and parts are very sad.  BUT, I do recommend that you read it, especially if you like historical fiction or the World War II/Holocaust time period.

I Didn't Come Here to Make Friends: Confessions of a Reality Show Villain by Courtney Robertson
Image Source
On a COMPLETELY different page, if you like the TV series The Bachelor/The Bachelorette, then you will love this memoir by the winner of Ben's season of The Bachelor!  On the show, Courtney was depicted as the villain, and I wasn't too big of a fan of her while watching the show.  Her book details her life leading up the show, her experiences during filming, and her life and relationship with Ben after the show.  The book was incredibly interesting to me and very easy to read.  There are some juicy things that Courtney shares in the book, and she is also very vulnerable about her feelings and experiences with Ben and The Bachelor.  You have to read this if you like the show, especially if you watched Ben's season.  It was so interesting, and it really made me like and respect Courtney a whole lot more.

Bond Girl by Erin Duffy
Image Source
I read about this book from LaurenConrad.com's book recommendation (she's my girl crush, and I'm not ashamed!), and I'm really glad that I did!  Bond Girl is a fictional novel that follows Alex, a recent Business grad from UVA (boooo), as she breaks in to the world trading bonds on Wall Street.  She has to find her way as a woman in a male-dominated field, and as she does, hilarity ensues.  This book just felt so real as I read it.  The things that happened and conversations that were had seemed so natural, which made the main character Alex so relatable.  Also, this book is actually LOL funny.  There were many times I found myself laughing out loud after a chapter.  There's also a bit of a twist in this book, which I always love in a novel.    If you're looking for some light, entertaining beach/pool reading, this book is definitely it!

Question for you: Have you read any of these books--if so, what did you think?  Any good book recommendations for me?

No comments:

Post a Comment