Monday, July 14, 2014

Change-of-Plans Weekend + ZOOMA Training Week 7

Happy Monday morning, everyone!  I'm so enjoying summer school, that I actually AM happy it's Monday again!  As usual on Mondays, let me tell you about my weekend and how my workouts went this week.

We originally planned on getting a lot done around the house before going up to St. Augustine and going scalloping, but this was a weekend of changing plans.

Thursday
Technically, my weekend started on Thursday, so I just wanted to share two pictures from the Daytona Cubs baseball game that night.  This is how Joe decided to pose when I asked if we could take picture together:
We did get a good one, but that one is just really funny/cute to me.  And here is the gorgeous sunset from Thursday night:

Friday
I had the day off on Friday, and so I took advantage of having nothing to do by...doing nothing.  There were many things that I SHOULD have done (including a 2 mile run I planned and wrote down in my planner), but naturally, I didn't get around to any of them.  But hey, sometimes you just need a complete day of rest, right?

After Joe got done with clinic, we headed down to New Smyrna Beach with our friend James to celebrate his birthday.  We ate dinner at That's Amore (y'all know my obsession with that place by now), which was delicious as always.
Leftovers of the Gnocchi Pesto.  YUMMY!
Afterwards, we met up with some other friends at a bar nearby and enjoyed people-watching out on the deck.  We learned that many people driving by were really, really bad at parallel parking.  I'm sure it's kind of stressful, though, with a whole bar's patio watching you try to park and yelling out suggestions!

Saturday 
After sleeping in a bit, we had originally planned on heading up to St. Augustine to see some friends from Georgia, but we got the dates wrong.  We'll get to see them next weekend, though.  Our little mix up led to lots of productivity and cleaning around the house.  We also learned that Tequila DOES NOT like to have her nails clipped.  We were only able to get one of them before she began flailing (despite the fact that Joe was holding her).  Guess we need to get a professional to do it!

I spent the afternoon reading.  I finished The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult before picking up I Didn't Come Here to Make Friends by Courtney Robertson.

She's the girl that won Ben's season of the Bachelor, and she wrote a tell-all memoir of her life and experience on the show.  I couldn't put it down!  If you love The Bachelor/Bachelorette franchise, you definitely need to read this!

Joe got home from watching the World Cup 3rd place game with the guys, and we went out for Mexican food.  Tasty, as always!  We came home and finished up Season 4 of Dexter.  People who have seen it: WHAT!?!?!? to that ending!  We really wanted to go in to Season 5, but I needed to get in to bed in preparation for my race.

Sunday
I woke up early on Sunday for the Suck It Up Buttercup 10K!  I needed to run this race as a long training run for the ZOOMA Chicago Half, and it was a really fun race!  I'll do a full recap tomorrow :)
Originally, Joe and I were going to go scalloping, but the weather was expected to be really poor.  The scalloping trip is delayed, and hopefully we'll make it out before the end of the season--it's only 6 weeks long!

Due to our change in plans, Joe and I were able to get to the late service at church.  It was nice to not have to worry about memorizing lines and performing; I got to just worship and listen to the Word being preached.  Good stuff!

Joe went off to watch the World Cup Championship with his boys again (fine with me--they get in to it more than I do!), so I was able to get some work done on more writing for Algebra Nation.  I also caught up on some blog work, got a new book from the library, and played with the puppy!

Even though we had to change our plans a fair amount, it was still a good weekend!  Got lots of stuff done, did some relaxing, and got in a great 10K race!

ZOOMA Chicago Training Week 7
After not really following my training plan for the ZOOMA Chicago Half Marathon, I was determined to make Week 7 the most successful week of training yet.  I set myself up for success, and it worked!!
Monday: 2.20 mile run (originally scheduled for 3 miles, but Tequila got too tired)
Tuesday: Bikram yoga (90 minutes)
Wednesday: 30 minutes on the treadmill + BodyPUMP
Thursday: rest day
Friday: lazy day
Saturday: rest day
Sunday: Suck It Up Buttercup 10K
Signing up for the 10K was a fantastic way for me to get in a long run this week.  I wasn't about to skip out on the race when I'd paid the highest registration fee I've ever paid for a local race!  That's what I get for signing up a week and a half before the race.  Writing my workouts in my planner was also a BIG key to my success this week, and I'm planning on doing that again this week.
I am getting more and more excited for the trip to Chicago, so I think it's making me more focused on my training, as well.  I'm really hoping that I will be successful again this week with my training.  It's the last big week of training before tapering, so I better!

Question for you: How do you handle when plans change on you?  What were your workouts like this week?

2 comments:

  1. Looks like an awesome weekend! I can't wait to hear about the race - anything with that name is awesome in my book! Also, what in the world is scalloping??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scalloping is basically a snorkeling Easter egg hunt! You swim around looking for scallops (they look like the Shell gas station symbol, just brown) in the grass, swim down and grab them, and put them in a little mesh bag. Makes for a great seafood dinner afterward!

      Delete