Monday, July 28, 2014

Summer Time Weekend + ZOOMA Training Week 9

Good Monday morning, y'all!  Hope your week is off to a great start.  I have nothing on the agenda today (except for a workout), and I am totally OK with that after the weekend we had!  Let's jump on in, because there is a LOT of summer time fun to tell y'all about!

Friday
My mom got in to town on Wednesday, and we'd been spending lots of time together on the beach, talking, and eating!
We got out on the beach pretty early on Friday morning so that Joe could come with us before clinic.  It was a beautiful day but HOT, so we spent a fair amount of time in the water.
We walked for a bit on the beach, as well, before eating a lunch we'd packed.  We also got some ice cream from the ice cream truck that drove by on the beach, and I was so happy to get a Chipwich for the first time in a while!
We left the beach around 2:30, which was perfect timing as a storm rolled in right as we were walking into the house.  We spent the afternoon watching Frozen (Mom hadn't seen it before), and Tequila even joined in!
Once Joe got home, we ate dinner, then headed to church for a showing of the movie Heaven Is For Real.  Mom and I both read the book, and while they did deviate from the book a little bit, the movie was still really good.  It definitely makes you think!

Saturday
Mom's flight home was around 11, so we spent the morning hanging out before dropping her off.  We had a great time with her :)  Afterward, Joe and I just kind of hung around the house before leaving for Tampa in the late afternoon.  I had a concert to go to, so Joe decided to go to the Tampa Bay Rays baseball game while I was at the show.  Him dropping me off/picking me up wound up working perfectly, since getting out of the parking lot afterward would have taken so, so long!

Anyway, the concert!  Back in January, I told you how excited I was for MONUMENTOUR featuring Fall Out Boy and Paramore.  Both bands have been my favorites for about 10 years now, so seeing them together was going to be EPIC!

The time finally came Saturday, so I headed to the amphitheater at the fairgrounds in Tampa for the show.  I LOVE going to concerts at these types of venues in the summer, since they're open-air and a great way to spend more time outside.  Even though it was insanely hot on Saturday night, I really enjoyed seeing this show at an amphitheater!
Sunset while Paramore plays?  Awesome!
Anyway, I was in the pit section, and I got a pretty good spot!  The opener was New Politics, and they were actually really good!  They opened for Fall Out Boy when I saw them last June, and the band has really grown since then.  Plus, back in my punk rock/emo phase, I would have been really in to the lead singer! ;)
After that, Paramore came out!!!  I'd seen them once before, so I knew the show was going to be great.
Paramore ROCKED!  They did play a lot of newer stuff, but it made me want to re-listen to those newer CDs of theirs.  Oh, and I still want to be Hayley Williams.
She has an amazing voice and can totally rock that outfit.  Oh man, so so good!
Then, Fall Out Boy came out!
This is my 11th time seeing them (I know, I know...kinda sad, but there are worse things to be spending money on), and being honest, it was not their best show.  Most of them (except Patick, the lead singer) just seemed bored the whole time.
I think this picture is proof--Pete usually smiles/rocks out the whole time during the shows.  I know it was hot, but we all paid to see a good show and were hot too.  It could be the fact that they played most of their newest CD which isn't really as much of a rock-out CD as their older stuff.  Needless to say, I was a little disappointed.  BUT I still enjoyed myself!
After the show, I went across the street to the WingHouse to wait for Joe to pick me up.  I met some people who went to the concert, and we had a good time chatting.  Joe got there, we ate a little snack, then drove up to Gainesville.  It was a late night, but we were excited for the next day!

Sunday
After only 4 hours of sleep, we got up and met up with some of Joe's friends to go Scalloping!
Scalloping is another great summer time activity in Florida, since the scallop season starts on July 1st.  Basically, scalloping is a snorkeling Easter egg hunt.  You boat around in the Gulf looking for the right area for scallops, get a mask and snorkel, and swim around until you find them.  You then dive down to pick them up and put them in to a mesh bag while you look for more.
Joe and his friend Brent looking for scallops
They're hard to see, but you look for this under the water:
Image Source
When you catch enough, you clean them out and save the meat to eat later on!  At first, We had a hard time finding a good spot and spent a lot of time just boating around.
The group + me
Later on in the day, we found a BUNCH of scallops! I think I wound up bringing in around 30 at this one spot, and it was really a lot of fun.

After two pretty long days of summer fun, we got home late on Sunday night and just crashed.  It was a GREAT weekend though, so we were happily exhausted :)

ZOOMA Chicago Half Marathon Training Week 9
This week's training was a bit unconventional, but I did get workouts in!
Monday-15 minute run/incline walk + BodyPump
Tuesday-Bikram yoga
Wednesday-2 mile walk with Mom, Joe and Tequila
Thursday-2 mile walk with Mom, Joe and Tequila
Friday-2 mile walk with Mom, Joe and Tequila
Saturday-rest day/dancing at the concert
Sunday-Lots of swimming while scalloping
Sometimes, workouts are best done when they aren't specially workouts!  I really did get in some good exercise that wasn't just running.

This week is going to be a light running week/tapering.  I do have some strength workouts and yoga planned, but with the half marathon on Saturday, I want to keep my legs fresh.

Oh man, this wound up being a long post!  If you stayed with me the whole time, you deserve a prize :)  I just had so much fun this weekend!!  I hope you had a great weekend, too

Question for you: Have you been to any concerts this summer?  What is your favorite summer time activity?

No comments:

Post a Comment