Monday, October 21, 2013

Slow and Steady

Good evening, y'all!  I hope your Monday was great.  Today was a teacher work day, so while there were no students, I still had a busy day of meeting with teachers!  No rest for the math coach :)





Last week, I finally got back in to my running!  I can really tell that I haven't been consistent with training when looking at my pace.

On Tuesday, I completed an out-and-back run.  I focused on negative splits for each mile.  Here's what they looked like:
  • Mile 1: 10:42
  • Mile 2: 10:08
  • Mile 3: 11:25
Well, I got negative splits between Mile 1 and 2!  The 3rd mile was going well for the first quarter, but I just ran too hard at the beginning and had to walk.  It taught me a good lesson, though, for my half marathon!  Make sure to start out slow if you want to finish strong :)

I turned Thursday in to Treadmill Thursday!  I got on the treadmill for a 3 mile run using intervals.  I ran 4 miles at 6.0, followed by 1 minute at 5.0.  Here's what it looked like including the warm-up and cool down.
I usually amp it up a bit on the treadmill, but again, my body wasn't feeling it.

Knowing that my half marathon is 6 days away, I think the theme of this race is going to be slow and steady!  I still want to finish strong, which means I'm really going to need to focus on starting out at a pace I can maintain throughout.  I'm going to practice that on my short runs this week and see how it goes!

Question for you: How do you determine your goals for a race?
I usually have a goal in mind beforehand, but in this case, I need to alter that goal based on how my body is doing right now!

No comments:

Post a Comment