Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Why Do Bad Things Happen?





While doing my homework for my Breaking Free Bible study, I read something that I wanted to share with y'all.
Beth Moore, the author of the study, was discussing Matthew 18:5-6 as it relates to child victimization:

"And whoever welcomes a little child like this in my name welcomes me.  But if anyone causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to have a large millstone hung around his neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea."
Matthew 18:5-6

Child victimization is a tough subject, and we often wonder why God doesn't do anything about something like that happening.  We question why God would let that bad thing happen to an innocent person, a good person, someone who doesn't deserve it.

One of the points Beth makes is that God does not ordain bad things happening to us.  "When you are trying to discern whether God or Satan is the author of a hardship, one of your best clues is whether or not sin is involved."  After reading that quote, I reflected on a lot of the bad things happening on our world today.  For the most part, these hardships are brought about because of someone else's sin.  

I think this is a really good thing to keep in mind.  I know what's it like to question why God would let something so horrible happen.  I distinctly remember our youth group meeting after the September 11th attacks in 2011.  Many of us were wondering how God could let something like that happen.  But, God did not ordain that situation.  God did not plan that situation.  Satan intervened, caused someone to sin, and thus our heartbreak over those terrorist attacks occurred. 

The good news is that, while God does not cause these things to happen or "ok" them, He will use them for our good.  Romans 8:28 says:
"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose."
We may have pain and suffering, but God will use that situation to teach us something and help us grow for the better.

Beth's teaching gave me a good perspective as to why bad things happen in our world.  I hope that you find this uplifting and helpful to you in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment