Saturday, October 26, 2013

The Problem with Approval-Seeking

It's the weekend, y'all!  I hope it's off to a good start for you.  Yesterday after work, I picked up my packet for the Lighthouse Loop Half Marathon I'll be running on Sunday.
I'm a bit nervous because my mini-training didn't happen.  I've found a running buddy (the Social Studies department chair at one of the schools I'm the math coach at), though, and we're planning on running a mile then walking for a minute until we finish the race.   Also, running this bridge for the last mile is no joke:
Until tomorrow, I'm going to do some foam-rolling, walk/stretch today, and get in the mindset to succeed!





As those of you who have been reading for a while know, I'm doing a Beth Moore Bible study right now.
This past week, the homework and video session really resonated with me.  Today, I wanted one of the things that I learned.

How many of you really seek the approval of others?

*raises hand* This is something that I do A LOT.  I'm a people pleaser.  I want others to like me and approve of what I do.  A lot of times, my mood throughout the day is based on whether I've received praise or criticism from others.

Well, this week in the video session, Beth Moore said something and referenced a Scripture verse that hit me like a ton of bricks:

"We become servants, bondslaves of whoever's approval we are trying to get!"

This comment came after reading Galatians 1:10:

"Am I now trying to win the approval of men, or of God?  Or am I trying to please men?  If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a servant of God."

You know what I thought after reading that verse? "Ouch."  Based on my desire/need/goal of please others, I am preventing myself from being a servant of God.  That is the exact OPPOSITE of what I really want out of life!  What a wake-up call for me.

I've also realized throughout this study that seeking the approval of others is really a stronghold keeping me from true freedom in God.  The purpose of this study is to break free of such strongholds so that we can enjoy all of the benefits of the freedom God intends for us.  Approval-seeking is certainly something I need to work on before I can fully enjoy that freedom.

Since Wednesday, I've been praying to God to move in my heart and shift my approval-seeking focus to Him.  This obviously isn't going to happen overnight, but I have seen a tiny shift in myself that I can only attribute to Him.  Praise God!

Question for you: Who do you seek approval from?
I certainly seek approval from my boss, as well as my co-workers.  My parents and husband are also people that I continually seek approval from.

No comments:

Post a Comment