Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Pregnancy Update: 37 Weeks + Birthing Classes

Hey everyone!  Hope you had a great weekend and a wonderful Monday.  I wanted to stop by yesterday with a post, both I had a pretty exciting Sunday that kept me from doing so.

On the second Sunday of the month, the youth group does Second Sunday Super Surprise, where Tony (the youth director) plans a surprise trip/activity for the night's program.  Well, this past Sunday we went to an Orlando Magic basketball game!
We were sitting really high, but it was a lot of fun.  And, after a terrible 1st quarter, the Magic wound up winning!  We did get back late, so I'm still trying to catch up on sleep!  And, of course, I stayed up until 11 last night to watch the Bachelor finale.  Priorities, people!

Ok, well, let's just get to today's post!  It's hard to believe that there are potentially only 3 more of this pregnancy updates before Baby Fish makes his/her arrival!  People say the last month drags by, but really, it's gone by fast (so far) for me!

Pregnancy Update: 37 Weeks

How far along? 37 weeks (and 2 days)

Baby Bump progress: Baby Fish continues to grow, and was apparently in a weird position when we took this picture!

Baby's Size? a wintermelon (what are those?)! Around 6.5 pounds and 19-20 inches long.

What's happening this week?  
  • Baby is full term now!  All crucial functions are developed.
  • Baby is practicing inhaling, exhaling, gripping, sucking, and blinking.
  • Baby is getting the first sticky poop ready, called the meconium.
  • Continues to gain fat all over the body
Total weight gain/loss: 28.6 pounds total since my first doctor's visit.  I'll be going back to the doctor on Thursday, and I suspect this number will be around 30 for the next update!

Stretch marks?: I think I might have a faint one going down my belly, but I'm regularly putting on the cocoa butter, so I'm hoping it'll fade/go away quickly.

Sleep: still sleeping well with just a few wake-ups in the middle of the night.  I've started sleeping with my feet on a pillow to keep them propped up and help reduce the swelling that occurs during the day.

Best moment this week: I have two best moments.  First, I very much enjoyed my nice low-key weekend with Joe!  We gotta enjoy all the quiet and the downtime before Baby Fish arrives and changes all of that!  Second, I'm really happy I got my hair cut on Thursday!
In case you didn't see it on Instagram, I donated 10 inches of my hair and got a styled new 'do!  I'm glad I got that done before baby comes because of the time AND I don't need my long hair getting pulled!

Miss anything?: my normal-sized ankles, not being able to sit any way I want because of my feet/ankles, running/wanting to exercise, and fitting in to my normal clothes

Movement: Still lots of moving in there!  I've been recording my kick count each day as the doctor asked, and it sure doesn't take long to get to 10 movements!

Food cravings: I've mainly been wanting carbs, but ice cream also has been a craving this week!

Anything making you queasy or sick: other than acid reflux, I'm doing well on the being sick/nausea thing!

Gender: We'll find out when Baby Fish is born :)  I'm starting to get antsy to find out!

Labor Signs: I think I've been having some Braxton-Hicks (practice) contractions this week, but that's about it!

Symptoms:
  • Swollen feet/ankles LIKE WHOA--it continues to be bad this week!
  • Acid reflux
  • Clumsiness and forgetfulness
  • Some "nesting" instincts--I just want to get things done!
Belly Button in or out? still in just a bit!

Wedding rings on or off? I can get them on, but I had two mornings this week were that was tough!  

Happy or Moody?: I've been pretty happy this week, except Thursday I had a mini-meltdown.  After my haircut, I really needed to get a bunch of stuff done, but my feet were SO swollen.  I ran just one of my errands, and seeing as that took me FOREVER thanks to the Bike Week traffic coming in, I lost it!  Yeah, it was no good.

Funny moments this week: On Friday, Joe and I went to dinner with some of his classmates.  We were talking about the baby, and someone mentioned "What if the baby comes on Pi day?"  aka 3-14.  Well, I got SUPER excited over the thought of this, especially because this year is EPIC Pi Day (3-14-15...3.1415...).  So, that's the only way I want Baby Fish coming early.  I mean, how perfect would that be?  A math teacher whose baby was born on the best Pi Day ever!  Ok, sorry for that nerdy moment :)

Looking forward to: meeting Baby Fish and finding out the gender! (that's probably going to be a constant until he/she arrives) and getting things together in the house

Exercise this week: not a great week on the exercise front, but I did get in about 3 walks this week.  Walking is about the only exercise I feel up to, but hey, something is better than nothing!

Baby Fish Feature: Birthing Classes
Last Tuesday, we had our first birthing class!  We had to sign up for 4 2-hour sessions at the hospital since the 1 7-hour session didn't work for us.  I'm really glad we are taking this class because I've already learned so much!
This first week was all about the signs and stages of labor and how to prepare for it.  Let me tell you, I was already concerned about labor, but this class made me realize how much I don't know about the process!  For example, I was sure I would know I was in labor because of my water breaking.  Well, I learned that that doesn't always happen at the beginning of labor!  What?!?!  Again, very glad we went to this class.

It was also comforting to know that I wasn't the only mom with the same fears about having a baby.  We split up into groups of moms and groups of dads and listed our fears and excitements about having a baby.  Then, the teacher read the lists and we had to guess whether it was a mom group of a dad group.  It was so interesting that it was easy to be able to tell!  At least all the moms had the same fears (mainly labor-related haha).

Question for you: Have you or would you take a birthing class?  Does your birthdate have any significance (holiday, fun number pattern, etc.)?
Both my dad and my grandfather (mom's dad) were born on the same day (just about 25+ years apart)!

No comments:

Post a Comment