Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Pregnancy Update: 40 Weeks + Induction Options

Today's a special day in the Fish household, because a year ago today, this little girl came in to our lives!
It really doesn't feel like we've had Tequila for a whole year already, but it sure has been a fun year!  She has brought a lot of joy to our lives, and we are really lucky to have her. 
We love you, Tequila!!

Ok, now that that's out of the way, we can move on to the point of this post: another pregnancy update!  Yes,  I'm still pregnant, so I'm going to keep updating you until I'm not anymore!  Could this be the last one?!?  I guess we'll have to wait and see!

Pregnancy Update: 40 Weeks

How far along? 40 weeks (and 2 days)

Baby Bump progress: I feel like the bump looks more round and lower this week.  Maybe that means Baby Fish is preparing to grace us with his/her presence!  (Sorry for the weird face in this picture, too!)

Baby's Size? a jackfruit (what is that...?)!  Anywhere from 7-9 pounds and 20-21 inches long.

What's happening this week?  
  • Baby's nails and hair are still growing
  • Baby's lungs are getting more and more developed
Total weight gain/loss: 35.6 pounds total since my first doctor's visit. 

Stretch marks?: nothing new!  The doctor actually commented on how nice my stomach looked and said that genetics seem to determine how the skin will behave.  Thanks, mom and dad, for good skin!

Sleep: A few nights this week, I've had to get up and sleep on the couch for a few hours.  I just haven't been able to get comfortable after going to the bathroom!  Overall, sleep isn't bad though.  I feel very rested when I get up, even when I have to sleep on the couch!

Best moment this week: Joe's graduation!! 
I was so happy that Baby Fish listened and didn't come before graduation.  It was great to get to see Joe walk across the stage and become a doctor after all of his hard work!  I'm so proud of him :)


Miss anything?: Same stuff as last week: having lots of clothing options, having normal-sized feet, alcohol, sleeping comfortably, plus running and being able to sit however I want without the fear of swollen feet!

Movement: still moving and grooving in there!  Also, I believe that he/she has dropped a little!  I haven't been getting as many rib kicks, which is nice.  Now, I'm getting some hip-bone punches, so those aren't fun either.

Food cravings: nothing specific, I've just been wanting to snack a lot more this week.  Cheez-its, Cheetos, and anything crunchy seem to be my go-to's!

Anything making you queasy or sick: nope!  The acid reflux has returned, but I've decided to just take some Tums when I first feel it come on.  It makes my day a lot less miserable!

Gender: We'll find out when Baby Fish is born :)  It's almost time!!!

Labor Signs: Baby has dropped some, and at the doctor on Wednesday, I was 50-70% effaced but not dilated.  I've been having some "false labor" contractions, too.  Nothing real yet, though!

Symptoms:
  • Swollen feet/ankles (and some finger swelling)
  • Acid Reflux
  • Feeling uncomfortable
Belly Button in or out? still mostly in!  It's pretty flat though

Wedding rings on or off? Off :( I miss wearing my rings!!

Happy or Moody?: another mostly happy week, with a few moody spells thrown in there.  I lose my patience very easily, so there were a few things that set me off this week!

Funny moments this week:  As I mentioned on Friday, Joe's graduation dinner for Campus Guides was held at Vince Carter's restaurant on Thursday.  

Joe got up to give a little thank you speech, and he referenced the last time we ate there.  Well, that just so happened to be our anniversary in June.
That was 9 months prior...and Baby Fish was due on Sunday...so if you do the math....I'll just let you make an assumption about what happened from there!  Anyway, it was quite funny after Joe mentioned that to see the other couples at the dinner looking at each other.  Hopefully there won't be any other babies 9 months from now (unless they planned for them, of course)!

Looking forward to: meeting Baby Fish and finding out the gender!!  And not being pregnant anymore.  I'm starting be over it!

Exercise this week: We took a few walks this week, and I actually did some yard work on Sunday!  My exercise has definitely been limited during the 3rd trimester, but I do feel good about the amount of activity I'm getting in each day.  

Baby Fish Feature: Induction Options
At my appointment last Wednesday, the doctor told me that if nothing had progressed by my next appointment (which is Thursday), then we would discuss induction options.  He said that they don't want me going past 41 weeks because of various things (calcification of the placenta, drying up of the amniotic fluids, etc.), and I will be 41 weeks along on Sunday.

To be honest, I kind of want things to happen naturally.  So, I'd really rather not be put on Pitocin an IV medicine) or have any of the hormone inserts placed in that induce labor.  A friend of mine that was induced was in labor for 36+ hours before having to have a C-section, so the thought of all that is just not fun to me! (I know that's not likely to happen to me, but still, it's not a ringing endorsement for induction!)

The one thing I don't mind them doing is "stripping the membranes".  Basically, the doctor separates the amniotic sac from the wall of the uterus using a gloved finger.  While this does sound a little painful, this seems more "natural" to me.  If the doctor mentions this as an option, I may have them do it on Thursday at my appointment.  Another friend who had a baby recently had this done, and she went in to labor a few hours later.  

I guess we'll see what all the doctor suggests at my appointment on Thursday!

Question for you: What are your thoughts on labor induction?  Any moms out there: did you get induced?  If so, how was that experience?

2 comments:

  1. I have 0 experience with pregnancy, but I just wanted to say that I"m excited for you, Joe, and Baby Fish! Can't wait to see him/her make their official blog appearance :) Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh, you're so close!! I can't wait to official meet Baby Fish and hear all about the birth (assuming you're going to share it publicly, if not then you know I want all the details!)

    I was just talking with my team about inductions yesterday, and my birth class instructor mentioned that stripping the membranes, while uncomfortable, is one of the most natural options. She also suggested some of the old wives tales like spicy food, walking, sex, and other activities to get things a-movin'. But I'm with you, I would definitely prefer NOT to be induced if I can help it, because I've heard that it can make things more painful since they come on so quickly! Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete