Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Tuesdays on the Run: Lucky Charms and Rituals

Happy St. Patrick's Day, everyone!  I'm not really big on the holiday, but I do wear green to avoid the pinches!  But, I know many people love St. Patty's Day, so I hope you enjoy celebrating however you choose to do so!

Things have been really busy for me this week as I wound up having an all-day professional development presentation to give today.  But, after seeing the topic for this week's Tuesdays on the Run link-up, I just had to get in a post no matter how late!
Tuesdays on the Run
Today's theme is Race Day Lucky Charms and Rituals!  Perfect for St. Patty's Day :)  While I don't have any lucky charms, I do have a few race day rituals that I wanted to share.  Thanks to Ericka of MCM Mama Runs, April from Run the Great Wide Somewhere, and Patty from My No-Guilt Life for the link-up!  Head over to any of their blogs to check out other bloggers and their race day lucky charms and rituals.

Laying out my clothes the night before
Before each race, I lay out my race day outfit!  It helps me save time in the mornings, and I also enjoy taking pictures of "flat Amy" the night before.

Eating cereal/granola/oatmeal for breakfast
My race morning meal is either cereal, granola, or oatmeal before I had to the race.  If those things aren't available, I normally go for a peanut butter sandwich.  But, either way, I must eat something before heading to the race.

Using the port-a-potties at least one beforehand.
Maybe this is TMI, but I have to hit the port-a-potty before I run a race.  ESPECIALLY running races while pregnant.  If I don't get to use one beforehand, then I worry about it the whole race.  Definitely not what you want to focus on while running!

Stretch when I get to the corral.
Once I get to my corral and get situated, I do some active stretching to prepare for the race.  Most of the time I have room, but sometimes this proves to be pretty challenging when there are a ton of people in the same corral!

Text Joe when I finish.
If Joe doesn't come to the race, I always text him when I finish, especially when running a half marathon.  I just like him to know that I'm done, and he usually sends me an congratulatory message in response!

Taking a picture with my medal afterward.
After the 2014 Space Coast Half
You've probably noticed from my race recaps, but after every race, I have to take the same medal-pose picture when the race is done.  I started this tradition after my first half marathon and love looking back at each of these pictures and feeling proud of the accomplishment of that race.

Question for you: What are your race day lucky charms or any rituals you have?

9 comments:

  1. I like your medal pose! I have always taken a picture of the bib, race shirt and medal together. It helps me preserve the memory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually have a bizarre thing where I go to the port-a-potty once before a race, then get right back in line because by the time I get to the front I'll need to go one last time! TMI? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We always take pics of us with our medals afterwards too! What a cute pink race outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your medal pose. I'm often at races by myself, so I've gotten pretty good at the medal selfie LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very nice! I'm not that skilled--I just get a random stranger to take my picture. They won't judge, right? :)

      Delete
  5. Flat Amy - love it! I am totally with you on taking a picture post-race with the medal. You need something to document that race by!

    ReplyDelete