Monday, March 2, 2015

SSMT February Verses and Reflections

Another month has come and gone, which means I have worked to memorize another two verses of Scripture!  One of my goals for 2015 was to join the Siesta Scripture Memory Team through the Living Proof Ministries blog.
As a part of that, I decided that at the end of each month, I'd share with y'all the verses I chose to memorize and reflect on their meaning for me.  So, it's time to reflect on February's verses!

Before we get in to the verses, I will be quite honest with you in saying that it was not a good memory month for me.  I did choose two verses, but I did not do well with committing them to memory.  In fact, I didn't even write one of the verses down in my spiral!

That being said, let me share the two verses with you and just reflect on why I didn't do well with memorizing them.

Verse #3: Galatians 1:10 (NIV)
"Am I now trying to win the approval of human beings, or of God?  Or am I trying to please people?  If I were still trying to please people, I would not be a servant of Christ."
This verse came up in the sermon I heard on February 1st when I was choosing my verse, and I thought it would be a good reminder for me in my life.  I've always been concerned with other people's opinions of me, and it used to drive many of the things I did.  However, over the last year, I've really been working on letting go of my need to please people and seek to please God instead.

One of the reasons I think this verse was hard for me to memorize is that it isn't necessarily a verse I fully need at this time.  After starting my new Bible study on how to study Scriptures, though, I see this verse in a new way; it tells me how God feels about us when we seek to please anyone but Him.  Looking at this verse in that way, I DO need to commit this memory and will continue to work on this verse during March.

Verse #4: 2 Thessalonians 3:13 (ESV)
"As for you, brothers, do not grow weary in doing good."
I chose this verse because of how lazy I've been feeling lately.  I needed a verse that would help me combat my laziness when it was overtaking me.  I did memorize this verse, but I really didn't recall it as I did my verses in January when I needed it.

Overall, I feel like I didn't pray over my Scripture selections this month as I did in January.  I think that led me to picking verses for the wrong reasons, and therefore gave me a hard time with memorizing them or a lack of times to recall these verses when I needed them.

I believe I'm off to a good start for March, though, and am hoping to continue to memorize February's verses, as I know they will be needed during some seasons of life!

In case you missed it:
January's Verses and Reflections

Question for you:  Have you ever felt like you did something good for the wrong reasons?  What verses do you have memorized that give you strength and comfort?

No comments:

Post a Comment