Wednesday, April 1, 2015

SSMT March Verses and Reflections

Hey, everyone!  Hope you are doing well on this Wednesday.  I intended to have a WIAW post for you, but I only took a picture of yesterday's lunch.  Oops!  Instead, we'll talk about what I wanted to post on Thursday!

April is here, so I wanted to share the verses I chose to memorize for the Siesta Scripture Memory Team in the month of March!
Participating in the SSMT through Living Proof Ministries and memorizing 24 verses of Scripture is one of my goals for this year, and as I mentioned in Monday's quarter-year goal check-in post, it's only going so-so so far.

Here are the verses I chose, a little reflection on how things went, and what the verses mean to me!

Verse #5: Psalm 33:4 (NIV)
"For the word of the Lord is right and true;
He is faithful in all he does."
I was inspired to memorize this verse by a woman in my Bible study.  We are reading about how to better study the Bible, and we do so by reading Jen Wilkin's book Women of the Word.  Then, each week, we discuss some questions in groups of 4.  Well, this woman named Bonnie was in my group the second week, and she is so strong in her faith!  When discussing difficult topics, she always talks about the importance of prayer and that God is faithful, even if the answer to our prayer is not what we wanted. 

I believe this verse came up in our study, and when I heard it, I knew it would be one of my memory verses.  This one I have memorized, though it is not one that I think of often.  One reason for that is that I have not spent much time in God's Word lately, which is a shame.  I'm sure that when I do, this verse will be one that I think of when I read something that resonates with me or that causes me confusion.

Verse #6: Hebrews 12:1b-2 (ESV)
"Let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God."
This verse may sound familiar, as the NIV translation of this verse is part of the header of my blog!  I really wanted to memorize this verse for the second part about Jesus.  Especially as Easter approaches, I thought this verse was a great reminder of the foundation of my faith.  That part that gets me is "who for the joy set before him endured the cross"...  Isn't it crazy that Jesus enduring the cross is in the same sentence as the word "joy"?  That just goes to show how much He loves us, that He would endure such a horrible death for us!

Unfortunately, this is one of the verses that I have not yet memorized.  I think the length intimidated me, and I know for sure that I was not prayerful in trying to memorize this verse.  As of now, I have the first half of it memorized and will continue to work on it during April.

I have already chosen Verse #7 to start April out right and spent time this morning working on all of my memory verses.  In April, I intend to make this practice more relational with God, as Beth Moore mentioned in one of her SSMT blog posts.  I think bringing Him in to this practice will not only help me memorize these verses better, but it will bring me closer to Him as well.  I mean, that's the whole point of this, so why have I been leaving Him out?!

Previous months' memory verse recaps:

Question for you: What are some memorizing techniques that you use?
They don't have to be Scripture-specific!  Any memorizing trick will help :)

No comments:

Post a Comment