Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Slow-Cooker Jambalaya + Cardio/Strength + Prayer

Thank goodness it's Wednesday!  I don't know what it is lately, but I've just been ready for the weekend earlier and earlier in the week.

Diet Tip of the Day
I have another Crock-pot recipe to share with you!  As you may know, I'm participating in Julie @ Peanut Butter Finger's Crock-pot challenge and am on new recipe #3 out of 10.  I need to step it up if I'm going to get in 7 more new recipes before March 4th!

Tonight's new recipe came from an interesting source.  As y'all know, I am currently enjoying Sean's season of the Bachelor.  His sister Shay actually has a blog called Mix and Match Mama, where she posts lots of recipes (and some insightful recaps of the show).

After reading one of her Bachelor recaps, I found this recipe for slow cooker jambalaya and just had to try it!

I only changed one thing about the recipe: I used chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts (hey, they were cheaper!  Can you blame me?).
As someone who isn't a big fan of spicy food, I was nervous about how I'd like this.  Let me tell you, this recipe is AMAZING!  I loved it, Joe loved it, and Joe's friend that came over to help us eat it loved it.

This is definitely a recipe we will have again!  If you like spicy food or just want a recipe out of the norm, you should definitely try this.

Today (and yesterday)'s Training
Yesterday, I went to the gym for the core workout for BBB Phase 2, as well as Cardio Interval B.  I was gutsy and tried to run on the treadmill, but after a minute, my heel started to hurt.  The pain returned after 5 minutes on the elliptical, so I nixed the cardio and just stuck with the core workout.

For this phase, the core workout is a 4-10 minute circuit with just two exercises.  I completed four rounds of the two exercises, and my abs are FEELING IT today!  I love the burn, though.  It makes me feel athletic :)

Today, I completed Tina's strength workout B from Best Body Bootcamp.  I didn't get around to this workout last week, and I can't share the entire workout, but I really, really loved these moves!  They focused on the "push" muscles, and I was really feeling it after 30 minutes!

I also got in 20 minutes of cardio while I watched the ABC Wednesday comedies.
It felt great to do some speed intervals on the treadmill, but now my heel is hurting again.  When will this go away so that I can be active again?!?!

***Side note: While doing my workout, I saw a live feed on ABC from the shuttle launch in Cape Canaveral.  I ran outside, looked south, and sure enough, I saw the shuttle flying through the air!!  It was quite a cool site, and I'm kicking myself for not having my camera on me.  I can now check off half a bucket list item: See a space shuttle launch in Cape Canaveral!***

Faith Find
My morning devotional was about the power of prayer.  This came at a great time, as I have really been slacking on praying lately.  I know it's something that I need to work on in order to deepen my relationship with God, and I've been trying to make it a priority this week.

My efforts have focused on filling "empty" time with prayer.  When I'm walking somewhere, I'll try to pray about what's going on during my day or a friend or family member that  I'll randomly think about.  It's been a great way to get myself praying throughout the day.

I'm hoping that after doing this, talking with God will become an integral part of my day instead of something I have to "set a goal" to do.

Sorry for the long post, but I just have say much to say after not blogging since Monday!  See you this time tomorrow for the same ole', same ole' (and hopefully another crock pot recipe!).

No comments:

Post a Comment