Thursday, September 5, 2013

Discerning God's Messages

Can you believe it's already Thursday?  Being off on Monday has really thrown my week out of whack.  In addition, I have an all-day training on Friday, messing up this week even more!





I recently experienced God speaking to me in an interesting way, and I wanted to share it with you.  It was during the time where I was looking for an answer to a prayer, and what I thought was the answer to that prayer turned out to be God leading me in another direction.

I went to yoga a few weeks ago, and during the relaxation part of the practice, the Fruits of the Spirit came in to my head (Galatians 5:22-23).
Image Source
The next day, when talking to a co-worker, I noticed that she had the Fruits of the Spirit hanging in her classroom!  I mentioned those to her, and we began talking about a Beth Moore Bible Study I'd completed on the Fruits of the Spirit.  She wound up telling me about a women's Bible study starting at her church, and she told me she'd give me more information about it when she got it.

I originally took that interaction to mean the answer to a prayer about a decision I needed to make in my life (again, more on that later).  But, I think it was actually to lead me to join this Bible study group!  Turns out, the study was another study written by Beth Moore called Breaking Free.
Image Source
Tonight was the first meeting, and guess what Scripture we used to introduce the concept behind the study? Judges 6, otherwise known as the introduction to the story of Gideon defeating the Midianites.  AFTER I just completed the Gideon Bible study this summer (by the way, I AM going to finish those week recaps)!  When I realized that, I wrote in my video guide "WHOA!"

Now, if that isn't God trying to talk to me, I don't know what is!  They must be a message that I am to receive that will bless me in whole new ways.  I'm excited to see what God has in store for me during these next 10 weeks of study!

So, if you feel like God is speaking to you about something, give it a day or two.  You may realize that He is speaking to you, but it may be about a different subject!  Continue to pray for discernment (as my wise friend Catherine advised me to do in this case) in what He's trying to say to you.  Also, turn to His Word as we know:
"All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting, and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work."
2 Timothy 3:16-17

Who knows, He might just have something even better in mind for you than you could even envision!

Question for you: Have you ever misinterpreted something God was trying to tell you?  How did you know, and what did you do to fix it?

No comments:

Post a Comment