Sunday, November 18, 2012

Book Review: The Pact

My Sunday was spent reading.  On the weekends, I love to brew coffee and read right when I wake up.  It's my thing!
Old picture, but that's my view on Saturday and Sunday mornings
I told one of the ladies that works in the library about reading and enjoying Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher, and she suggested I read The Pact by Jodi Picoult.
Source
I'd read a book by her before (House Rules...highly recommended!), so I though I'd give it a shot.  The book begins a 17-year-old couple, Chris Harte and Emily Gold, arriving at a hospital after an apparent double suicide attempt.  Chris and Emily were born 3 months apart and have grown up together, due to their parents being very close friends and the fact that they live next door.  Emily dies after arriving at the hospital, and Chris is left to explain what happened to his and Emily's parents, as well as the police.  After a bit of investigation, the police take Chris in to custody for the alleged murder of Emily Gold.  The book follows the aftermath of Emily's death, as well as the trial and its effect on all parties involved.

 The drama at the beginning of the novel drew me right in.  I was engrossed and invested in the story, and I really enjoyed how Picoult switches between "Then" and "Now," giving us the back story on Chris and Emily's relationship, while also giving each character a voice in the current situation.

I got a little bored in the middle.  Chris was just sitting in jail awaiting trial and his family, Emily's family, and the attorney were all trying to get the pieces of the story/trial put together.  You could feel the stress and anxiety of the characters, and as someone who is very empathetic, it was making me uncomfortable!

But, as soon as the trial began and the "Then" sections of the book were talking about the day before/of the double suicide attempt (last 200 pages of the book), I was sucked in!  I couldn't put the book down today as twists and turns kept me guessing about how the trial would end and what really happened on the day of Emily's death until the very last page.

I love Picoult's style of changing the narrator of the story, because I think it gives you a great insight into each character and their side/perspective of the events in the novel.  Overall, I enjoyed The Pact and would recommend it to anyone interested in murder mysteries, love stories, and someone who is looking for an interesting fiction read!

Next up on my reading list: The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin for Peanut Butter Finger's book club.  I'll have plenty of time to read during our Thanksgiving travels!

No comments:

Post a Comment