Sunday, November 11, 2012

Veteran's Day Fun/Run + Chocolate Chip Cookie Brownies

For those of you who don't know, my husband Joe is a veteran.  He was in the military from 2003-2008 and did two tours in Iraq as a Navy Corpsman (in other words, a Marine medic).  I am very proud of his service to our country and really enjoyed spending today with him (our first married Veteran's Day!)

Diet Tip of the Day
Applebee's offered free entrees to veterans today, and we have one .2 miles from our apartment.  So, Joe and I went for a short walk to get his free dinner tonight.

We ordered 2-for-1 Blue Moons, mozzarella sticks, and the Three Cheese Chicken Penne, all to share.  Not only does this really save money ($14), but I ate just enough without stuffing myself!  As much as these food are not the most healthy (what?  fried cheese isn't healthy??), at least we shared them and each only had half portions of each.

I highly recommend walking to a nearby restaurant before dinner, as well as splitting an appetizer/entree so as not to stuff yourself when going out to eat.  I know I always do that between bread, delicious entrees, and tempting appetizers, but you still get all the tastes you want without overindulging!

Today's Training
After not getting my planned three runs in this week, I have every intention of doing at least 4 runs this week, starting today:
My "long run" on the training schedule last week was just a 3-miler.  I was really happy with my timing here!  I ran for the first 20 minutes of my run, then did the usual 3:1 run/walk ratio.  My 3-minute runs were at a much faster pace than usual.  I can tell that my training is helping, and I'm really excited about my progress!

This week's training schedule:
Monday: BodyPUMP (including a run to/from the gym <1 mile away)
Tuesday: Treadmill Tuesday (going right after school)
Wednesday: Strength workout
Thursday: 35-minute run (outside, right after school)
Friday: Rest
Saturday: 6-mile run
Sunday: Easy 2 or 3 miles + Core

Faith Find
The new sermon series our church started is "What Should I Believe?," and we'll be talking about the prophecies of the Old Testament and the events of the New Testament.  I'm really excited about this because, as the minister said this morning, we often neglect the Old Testament and really just study the New Testament.

The verse from today was Isaiah 48:10:
"Only I can tell you the future
before it even happens.
Everything I plan will come to pass, 
for I do whatever I wish."
It's a good reminder that God is in control, and that he does have a plan for our lives.  I know I need to pray more for His will to be done in my life, rather than praying for things to go my way.  I'm excited to read and learn more about verses in the Old Testament, many of which I haven't read or studied before.

Bonus: Dessert Recipe
On top of the salmon I cooked last year, I made one of my signature desserts

Chocolate-Chip Cooke Brownies

Ingredients:

  • 1 box fudge brownie mix (I like Betty Crocker's mix, which requires 2 eggs and vegetable oil)
  • 1 package chocolate cookie mix (Betty Crocker's requires 1 egg and 1 stick of butter)
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Prepare brownie batter and cookie dough as directed.
  3. Pour brownie batter into a 13x9 pan.
  4. Press the cookie dough into the brownie batter (I usually use 9 good-sized spoonfuls).
  5. Bake for about 25 minutes, or until the middle of the brownies pass the toothpick test.
I found this recipe on the back of a Betty Crocker brownie mix a few years ago, and these are always a hit!  They are so easy to make, and they combine my two very favorite desserts!

I hope everyone had a great Veteran's Day and that you took time to thank those veterans around you.  Enjoy your day off tomorrow (if you have one)!  I know that I'll be catching up on school work, heading to the beach, running some errands, and getting my workout in.

No comments:

Post a Comment