Saturday, November 3, 2012

Earning my Breakfast + Volunteering

Happy Saturday morning!  I started off my morning with a cup of coffee and a good book and this guy laying at my feet.
I've mentioned him before, but this is Wewii.  Joe and I are long-term pet-sitting him for one of Joe's friends.  The dog's name was originally Weezy, but Joe didn't want to call him that (he got him before we got married).  Since the dog is about 5 years old, Joe decided to call him Weewee since it's close to his real name.  He also decided to spell it in a strange way...which is how we got to Wewii.  This guy has had a pretty tough life and has pretty severe separation anxiety (and gets destructive when we leave).  Overall, though, he's a good companion and makes me feel safe when Joe isn't around!

Ok, enough about the dog.

Today's Training
I was heading to an all-you-can-eat pancake breakfast to support the girl's basketball team at my school.  I realized it was 2.5 hours away and I wanted to do an easy run, so I decided I'd run there and have a relaxing walk back.
My final destination
I got there in 25 minutes, which was good considering I took many, many walk breaks.  Word of Advice: Don't go for a run with 2 cups of coffee and only half a glass of water in your system.  It's quite challenging.

Once I got there, I waited in line for a while, and I was really ready to eat (and have a glass of water).  Luckily, the food was worth the wait.
I was so hungry that I dug in before taking a picture
Mmmmmm cheese grits.  I also had a sausage because I knew I needed some protein.  After downing my food, I relaxed for a little bit before getting a cup of ice to-go and heading outside to enjoy the view.
Beautiful
The walk back took me just under 38 minutes, and I listened to the next sermon in the series from North  Point Community Church that I've been listening to over the past few weeks.  I'll summarize that one in tomorrow's post!

Faith Find
On Halloween, the SCHS Key Club signed up to help at a church's carnival.  As the sponsor, I have to be at all events, so on top of my already-busy week, I knew I had to spend time volunteering on Halloween evening.  Before going, I was getting excited about seeing all of the kids in their costumes and helping them play games.

When I got there, we had a hard time finding a place to help.  The woman in charge of the kitchen gave us assignments and needed someone to wrap up hot dogs.  I let the Key Club students help out with the games and decided I'd stay and wrap hot dogs.  As much as I wanted to be outside in beautiful Florida evening playing with kids, I knew that this was not a job I wanted.

I felt as though I was rewarded for putting others before myself.  While I was wrapping hot dogs, I felt the stress and worry of my week just melt away.  I had a lot on my mind before getting to that event, but afterward, I felt so renewed and relaxed.  

I always love volunteering, but I just felt incredibly rewarded after this particular volunteer experience.  I plan to look for additional opportunities for myself to volunteer on a regular bsisi,a nd I look forward to attending other events with my Key Club members.

Question of the Day: Do you volunteer?  If so, where's your favorite place to volunteer?

I love working at food banks and serving meals at homeless shelters.  I'm not sure why, but those are just always really enjoyable experiences for me.  I especially enjoy interacting with the people I'm serving, like I get to do when serving others food at homeless shelters.

On a side note...
There has been a lot of controversy over the New York City Marathon this weekend.  After the destruction of the city caused by Sandy, people all over the nation were upset that the mayor of NYC and the organizers of the marathon kept the event on in light of all of the resources being used on the out-of-towners/runners of the race as opposed to helping those in need in the city.  The event has since been cancelled, but I think a lot of us not in the New York/New Jersey area to fully understand the devastation they've experienced.  

Let's come together as a country and support them in their time of need.  If you like to donate to the Red Cross to support their relief efforts, please do so here.  You can also text REDCROSS to 90999 to donate $10 to the Red Cross, which will show up on your next phone bill.  Also, here is an article from Forbes magazine that lists different needs of shelters in the NY/NJ area that you can donate to.

Please consider doing something to help out, if you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment