Friday, May 24, 2013

Traveling with Healthy Food

Good afternoon!  I'm blogging from a new piece of furniture in our living room.  It's an incredibly comfortable lounger that our neighbor was getting rid of!

She set it on the curb, and Joe and I each saw it separately as we got home on Tuesday afternoon.  We brought it up to each other at the same time and decided we did want it.  We asked our neighbor if we could take it, and she told us it was ours!  As you can see, Wewii is a little disappointed that he can't get up on it.

"But Momma...pleeeeease let me up on the lounger?"
He is trying so hard to get up on it, but we keep telling him no.  Look at those super sad eyes!  They make it so hard to say no to him.




While perusing some WIAW posts on Jen's link-up, I came across Brittany's post about traveling with her own food.  Y'all know that I'm not very good at keeping up healthy habits while out of town, but her post inspired me as I prepare for a trip this weekend.

Joe and I are heading to "the springs" for some sun and water fun.  His friend's family owns land on a spring, and every Memorial Day, a large group of their friends and family head out there to camp, boat, and hang out.
Joe and me on the boat
Tubing behind a boat
Two downsides to being out at the springs: healthy food and drinkable water are very hard to come by and it's tough to keep perishable foods good.  We went to the store yesterday, and here are the things I got to keep up the healthy eating:

  • A large pack of bottled water-we'll have plenty to keep us hydrated
  • A box of protein bars-my go-to bar could easily melt, so I opted for the Nature Valley Trail Mix bars to eat for breakfast/snacks.
  • Oranges-they're tasty, hydrating, don't create any trash, and they'll keep even if they sit in the car.
  • Baby Carrots-also something that will keep
  • Chicken Sausage-grilling food is a necessity, and chicken sausage has to be better than regular brats, right?
I always have good intentions before traveling, so I'll be sure to keep you posted on how my attempt to still have some healthy foods actually goes.




A quick thought to ponder: I saw this quote posted today on Twitter:
It made me think, as well as reminded me of a Bible verse.
"Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves.  Do what it says.  Anyone who listens ot the word but does not do what it says is like someone who looks at his face in a mirror and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like.  But whoever looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues in it--not forgetting what they have heard, but doing it--they will be blessed in what they do."
James 1:22-25

It's all well and good to have strong beliefs, but we also need to act on them.  Keep that in mind as you go about your day/week/month/life.

Question for you: What are some things you do to make sure you eat healthy while traveling?

Have a fun and safe Memorial Day weekend!  See y'all back here on Sunday :)

No comments:

Post a Comment