This week's eats are from Memorial Day and include a recipe! I always long for grilled food on Memorial Day and Fourth of July. I told Joe about this, but we were going to be driving home after our weekend at the springs. We decided on pizza, so I got my grilled food for lunch instead.
We went bowling with Joe's mom around lunchtime and I ordered a burger and fries. Let me tell you, these fries were AWESOME! The burger was pretty good, too, but I was really loving the french fries. If you're ever in Gainesville, FL and need a fun place to bowl with good food, you have to check out Splitz!
We made side trip to Tangled Oaks Vineyard on our way home from Gainesville. It's located in Grandin, FL and has a tasting room right on site. Joe and I tasted all of their wines and purchased a few of our favorites.
We even let Wewii get out of the car and run around the vineyard, which he thoroughly enjoyed.
On our drive, Joe starting wanting to grill when we got home for dinner. We decided we'd make kabobs, so I looked up a recipe and made a grocery list. After a store run, I put together these Italian-flavored chicken and veggie kabobs.
- 1 lb of chicken breasts, cut in to 1-inch pieces
- 2 red bell peppers, cut in to 1-inch pieces
- 2 medium onions, cut in to wedges
- 2 small-to-medium zucchini, sliced
- 2 small-to-medium yellow squash, sliced
- 1 cup marinade (I used a lemon pepper marinade, but Italian dressing would be good!)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary, crushed
- Skewers, soaked in water
- Slice up the chicken breasts into 1-inch pieces. Combine chicken pieces with 1 cup marinade in a gallon-sized zipper bag. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Slice up vegetables.
- Combine olive oil, garlic salt, and rosemary in another gallon-sized zipper bag. Put all vegetables in the bag and toss to combine.
- Assemble kabobs on skewers. Grill for about 15 minutes, turning skewers every 2-3 minutes, basting with leftover marinade if desired.
Question for you: What are your go-to Memorial Day meals? Any other grillers out there?