Saturday, May 4, 2013

Homemade Meat Sauce

Good evening, and Happy Saturday!  I began my Saturday with my usual step class.  This week, the instructor sped up the music, and I was sweatin' hard at the end of the hour!

Before the regular post, I wanted to share some funny search results that led people to my blog.  I check these every now and then, and here are the funny/strange ones from recently:

"sleepy husband"--not sure how this led to my blog, but I found it funny

"maria menounous abs"--from my ab-spiration post.  Her abs are great!

"the race marked"--again, don't know where this comes from (maybe race reviews?)

"pilsbury orangesicle cookie mix review"--yeah, I did post about those!  Get them, they're yummy




As promised, I'm here to post my awesome homemade meat sauce recipe!  Originally, I found this recipe online when trying to make Joe his favorite home-cooked meal.  I've made it so many times that I now just season it as I see fit that day  But, here are the general instructions:

Ingredients
  • 3 strips of bacon, diced
  • 1 lb. ground beef (or any ground meat you'd like to cook with)
  • 1 cup onion, diced
  • 1 tsp basil
  • 1 tsp oregano
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper
  • 1 tbsp minced garlic
  • 3/4 cup red wine
  • 1 can (16 ounces) tomato sauce
  • 1 can (16 ounces) diced tomato
  • 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
  • 1 tsp to 1tbsp tabasco sauce (to taste)

Directions
  1. Cut up bacon strips into small pieces.  Cook in large pot on medium-high heat until grease renders out.
  2. Mix in ground beef and onion.  Cook until beef is browned.  Drain any grease.
  3. Add basil, oregano, salt, pepper, garlic, and wine.  Mix and cook until most of the wine cooks off (about 5-10 minutes).
  4. Add in tomato sauce, diced tomato, tomato paste, and tabasco.  Reduce head to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
Serve over pasta of your choice, and top with parmesan cheese if desired.

Joe LOVES this recipe and even told me it's better than his sister's meat sauce that he grew up eating.  I'm usually a plain pasta fan (or use a light olive oil dressing), but even I think this meat sauce is delicious!  If you love spaghetti, I highly recommend this recipe!

Question for you: What's your favorite homemade recipe?  Feel free to share a link!

No comments:

Post a Comment