Thursday, November 6, 2014

Lessons Learned from the Palmer Paint the Towne 5K

Is it just me, or have the days been on fast forward lately?  I still can't believe it's November already, and it's also crazy that it's already Thursday!  I guess time flies when you're having fun...so I guess I'm just enjoying life!  One thing's for sure, I know Tequila certainly is!
Well, as I mentioned on Monday, I ran a 5K this weekend!  It was put on by Joe's school, Palmer College of Chiropractic, and the proceeds went toward scholarships for local high school runners.  Sounds good to me!

As a race recap, I thought I'd share some of the lessons I learned while running this race!

-Running in cold weather is HARD.  The temperature when I got to the starting line on Sunday morning was 41 degrees!  I was dressed for the weather, but afterward, I felt like my lungs were burning from breathing the cold air.  Mad props to those of you who run all winter where it gets cold--Florida weather has spoiled me!

For those of you who don't know how to dress when running in certain temperatures (myself, included!), here's a handy guide someone posted on the Team #runDisney Facebook page:

-I have to accept that I can't run like I used to while I'm pregnant.  I know that I need to do run/walk intervals while I'm pregnant, and I'm ok with that.  I got a little frustrated with myself, though, with my time.  I wanted to try to be under 33 minutes, but, while I was close, that just didn't happen.
I got a little down on myself, but then I remembered that I'm lucky I can even run at all while pregnant.  I've read some blog posts of people who had to stop running after a certain point in their pregnancy because of intense pain, and so far, *knock on wood* I haven't had that.  I'm lucky that I can still run these races and participate in my hobby/exercise at this point.  So, I need to just enjoy that rather than worrying about time.  I can work on getting faster after Baby Fish arrives :)

-"Old Daytona" is really beautiful!  We ran through a part of Daytona I'd never seen before, and the neighborhoods there were just lovely!  Beachy, yet still kind of old South looking--great combination!  Plus, you can't beat the palm trees and Spanish moss hanging from the trees lining the roadways.  One of my favorite things about Florida!

-Long-sleeved tech shirts are really comfy.  We got a long-sleeved tech shirt for running the race, and I wore it on a walk on Monday evening.  Even though the shirt is yellow (I don't like the way yellow looks on me), I really love the length and feel of it!  So comfortable!

-5Ks are so much easier mentally than half marathons!  This is a no-brainer, but I was shocked at how quickly the finish came!  I haven't run a 5K since March, so I felt like the time flew by!  I have another one next weekend, so I'm hoping to be able to push myself a little harder mentally.  A pregnant PR will work just fine for me :)

-I CAN push to the finish in races!  I'm normally really bad about saving some energy for a sprint to the finish, but this race, I actually did it!  As you can see on my watch above, I was running an 8:42 pace at the end of the race.  Go me!

I'm hoping to take what I learned from these races into my racing schedule for the rest of the year!  Here's what I've got on the schedule for the rest of 2014:
-Nov. 8th-Disney's Wine and Dine Half Marathon
-Nov. 15th-Take Stock in Children 5K
-Nov. 23rd-Women's Running Series Half Marathon in St. Petersburg, FL
-Nov. 30rd-Space Coast Half Marathon
-Dec. 6th-Ed Root Memorial 10K

Question for you: What's a lesson you've learned from a recent race?
I love any and all running advice :)

No comments:

Post a Comment