Wednesday, November 12, 2014

WIAW #43: Veteran's Day Eats

Hello there!  After having yesterday off of work, it was kind of tough to get up and moving this morning.  I got myself a little pick-me-up from Starbucks, and I was ready to roll over that!

Well, it's Wednesday, so it's time for a little blogger tradition around here!
Image Source
Today's WIAW post is all about Veteran's Day eats!  Yesterday was Veteran's Day in the USA, and our meals were all about Joe!  He served for 5 years as a Navy Corpsman (medic, deployed with the Marines), so I made sure that he got what he wanted as far as food goes throughout the day.  We went out to eat a lot on Tuesday because many restaurants offer free meals for Veteran's Day, so let's take a look at what we ate!

Thank you to Jenn for hosting the WIAW link-up!  Check out her blog for more information about WIAW and see what other bloggers are eating.

Breakfast
I wanted to make Joe a special breakfast in the morning, so I baked some biscuits!  We have some local honey that Joe purchase to put on biscuits, when he woke up, he was excited for biscuits and honey.  Unfortunately, the biscuits fell apart a little bit when I took them off the baking sheet, but they were still tasty despite their messy appearance.
I topped my biscuits with some grape jelly, and it was a really nice breakfast to start off my day off and to start Joe's Veteran's Day!

Morning Snack
I had another biscuit topped with jelly as a snack.  They were so good that I just wanted to eat them again!

Lunch
Joe came home after clinic, and we went to Applebee's to eat lunch.  They offer a Veteran's Day menu with free meals for veterans, so Joe ordered off that menu.  I got one of their Lunch Combinations with Tomato Basil Soup and the Oriental Chicken Salad.  I forgot to take a picture of my food because I was so ready to dig in!
Image Source
Let me tell you, that meal HIT THE SPOT!  It was the right amount of food and everything tasted great.  We wound up talking to an older couple that sat next to us.  They were really nice and had a lot in common with us!  Overall, it was a great lunch :)

Afternoon Snack
I ate two handfuls of chocolate chips as an afternoon snack.  We planned on going to Golden Corral for dinner, so I wanted to save room for the buffet!

Dinner
We made our way to Golden Corral, only to find out that their Veteran's Day meal was going to be next Monday!  Bummer!  The woman at the cash register told us other places we could go for a veteran's meal that day, which I thought was really nice of her.

We thanked her for the information and went on to Olive Garden for dinner.  They, too, offer a special menu and free meal for veterans.
After an appetizer of their salad and breadsticks (both of which I LOVE!), I ate my entree of Smoked Mozzarella Chicken.  This was my first time having that dish, and I loved the flavor and all the cheese!  Yum!

Overall, I think we ate pretty well on Veteran's Day.  I love that restaurants show their appreciation for the veterans with free meals, and our servers all made Joe feel appreciated and special while we were eating there.

Question for you: If you have any veteran family members/friends, do they take advantage of the free meals offered at a variety of places?  What's your favorite meal when you go out to eat?

No comments:

Post a Comment