Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Pregnancy Update: 19 Weeks + Eating (Healthy) for Two

Good morning, and happy Tuesday!  I've got to get moving this morning so I'll get to work on time, so let's just jump right on in to this week's pregnancy update!

Pregnancy Update: 19 weeks

How far along? 19 weeks (and two days)

Baby Bump progress: Although slightly blurry, I like this picture too!

Baby's Size? Baby Fish is about 6 inches long and weighs between 8-9 ounces--about the size of a mango!

What's happening this week?  
  • The senses are developing!  Nerve cells are forming in the brain for sight, smell, sound, and taste.
  • Baby is developing a protective coating over the skin, the vermix caseosa

Total weight gain/loss: haven't weighed myself, but at the last appointment I had gained 2 pounds since my first appointment.

Stretch marks? unfortunately, I think I have two around my armpits :( My boobs have grown, and I wasn't putting cocoa butter in that area.  They aren't too deep or dark, so I'm hoping they'll disappear after the baby comes.  Seeing them has made me up my cocoa butter applications to at least twice a day!

Sleep: still sleeping well!  I'm not super sleepy every day, so I just have to make myself keep to a consistent bed time so I don't run myself down.

Best moment this week: my best moment this week came after probably my worst moment this week. I realized just how important it is for me to take care of myself while pregnant and vowed to make it a priority for the rest of the pregnancy (and beyond)!  More on that in today's Baby Fish Feature :)

Miss anything?: my normal running abilities (more on that with my Palmer Paint the Towne 5K recap later this week)

Movement: I may have felt some movement on last Monday, but I'm not 100% sure.  We'll go with no since I'm not sure :)

Food cravings: lots and lots of candy!  Thanks, Halloween, for getting in the way of healthy eating!  My prayer for this week is to take care of myself with healthy eating all week.

Anything making you queasy or sick: not this week!  Thankfully :)

Gender: can't find out, and won't be finding out until Baby Fish makes his/her debut

Labor Signs: none (thank goodness!)

Symptoms: 
  • some back pain after sleeping on the couch two nights this week
  • this may be TMI, but really having to pee, then only having a little bit come out
  • being forgetful (sticky notes and the Any.Do app have become my best friends!)
  • being emotional (I feel like that's relatively normal for me, though!)
Belly Button in or out? in

Wedding rings on or off? on

Happy or Moody? Happy, but silly little things were making me tear up this week!

Funny moments this week: On Sunday night, Joe, Tequila and I were all sitting on the couch.  She kept licking up ALL over, NON-STOP!  I started pulling her toward me to kind of "hold her down", then Joe kind of pushed on her to get her away from him.  Well, she happened to be right on my stomach, so she was pressing in to Baby Fish's space!  He/she let me know that wasn't comfy and it started to hurt!  As soon as I told Joe, he pulled his hand back and started talking to Tequila about being nice to Baby Fish.  It was kind of a cute moment :)

Looking forward to: feeling the baby move and/or KNOWING that it's the movement!

Exercise this week: I did not do any strength training this week as I originally wanted to.  I still needed to take it easy after the Lighthouse Loop Half, and I didn't want to be too sore before the 5K on Sunday.  I took a walk on Saturday, ran a 5K on Sunday, walked on Monday, and that was about it.
Goal for this week: strength train at least once this week and take a walk every day.  Plus, I'm running the Disney's Wine and Dine Half Marathon on Saturday night, so I'm hoping for a finish on that race!

Baby Fish Feature!: Eating (Healthy) for Two
As I normally am, I'm going to be completely honest with y'all: I had a very unhealthy week of eating.  Before being pregnant, I never thought too much about it when that happened.  What I ate only effected me personally.  

Now, I'm eating for two.  So, when I eat Skittles for breakfast, I'm not really fueling myself for a day of growing OR getting Baby Fish the nutrients he/she needs to grow properly!  I also noticed that, on days when I ate particularly poorly, I had far less energy, got a headache, and wasn't motivated to eat healthier later on in the day.

I really started feeling bad about this on Sunday, beating myself up and worrying that I was messing up my child.  Well, I knew that I needed to take better care of myself AND Baby Fish and made a plan to do so this week.  Here are some steps I took to ensure that this week would be a week of healthy eating for myself and for Baby Fish!
  • I made a meal plan for the week.  This is something I used to do and really need to get back in to!  Not only does it set myself up for healthy eating, but it alleviates the stress of "what am I making for dinner??" when I get home each day.
  • I created a grocery list and stuck to it.  After making the meal plan, I wrote down what we needed for those meals, as well as our weekly perishable food needs, and stuck to the list while grocery shopping.  I avoided any sweets and made sure all the snacks I purchased were nutritious.
  • Food prepped while putting the groceries away. One of the problems I've been having lately is buying veggies for a salad, not chopping them up right away, and then they'll go bad before I'm motivated to chop them.  So, not only do I not get my salads for lunch each week because the veggies aren't chopped, but I'm also being wasteful!  I don't want to do either of those!  This week, as I put the groceries up, I left out the veggies I needed to chop and cut them up right away.  That made for delicious salads for lunch this week :)
None of these things are new or by any means revolutionary ideas, but I personally needed to do them to make sure my week got off to a healthy start.  While I did eat a few small pieces of candy at work on Monday, I felt like my healthy meals and snacks gave me some room to do!

Question for you:  How do you set up for a week of healthy eating?

No comments:

Post a Comment