Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Anti-Laziness Project

Hey, everyone!  Hope you've had a good day.  I just got a moment to sit down and catch up on Internet stuff, so I thought I'd pop by and update you on what's keeping me so busy!




We talking in church on Sunday about hearing God and listening to what He says.  Well, I think I heard God speak to me in a realization I made the other day.

Lately, I have been INCREDIBLY lazy.  When I get home from work, I sit down on the couch and don't really get up until time for bed.  I realized as I looked around my messy house that my laziness was affecting many things in my life.

Not only were my chores getting neglected, but I realized that my laziness was also affecting my relationship with Joe.  He would get frustrated with me when I wouldn't do something I said I would (which was because I sat on the couch and became lazy).  I would be upset because he was frustrated with me.  

My work was also getting neglected.  As a teacher, there are lots of things I have to do at home (plan lessons, grade papers, study up for myself, etc.) and I haven't been doing any of them!  It took me three weeks to grade a set of 20 retake tests.  Not good.

I've also been lazy when it comes to growing in my faith.  My devotionals have been going to the wayside last week, and I haven't been taking the time to pray.  My spare moments have been mindlessly watching TV or messing around on the computer.

I turned to the Bible to see what it had to say about being lazy.  Proverbs had three verses relating two laziness, and two of them really spoke to me:

"Lazy hands make for poverty, but diligent hands bring wealth.
He who gathers crops in summer is a prudent son, but he who sleeps during harvest is a disgraceful son."
-Proverbs 10:4-5

"The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt"
-Proverbs 12:27

"We want each of you to show this same diligence to the very end, so that what you hope for may be fully realized.  We do not want you to become lazy, but to imitate those who through faith and patience inherit what has been promised."
-Hebrews 6:11-12

After my realization on Sunday and reading these verses, I've been making a point to get things done BEFORE sitting on the couch.  I want to be a good wife, a clean person, a good teacher, and I especially want to grow in my relationship with God.  Since setting that goal, I've done a good job at getting things done.  Joe even mentioned yesterday how impressed he was with all the chores I was accomplishing!  Then, I take the few hours before bed to only watch the TV shows I want, only look at the things on the Internet that really interest me (i.e. only check Facebook/Twitter once or twice).  I've felt that those few hours have been much more quality relaxing time as opposed to quantity.

I'll keep you updated on my anti-laziness project.  I'm hoping that my excitement about this will continue and become habit.  I'm certainly reaping benefits so far!

Sorry for a post with no pictures, but tomorrow's post will MORE THAN make up for it! :)

Question for you: What's an area of your life that you need to work on?
Speaking from (two days of) experience, I think it's worth it to just go for the change!  You'll see a difference and hopefully it's a positive one.

1 comment:

  1. I know I'm posting late, but thanks for sharing! My house is also a mess, and my devo reading went down to like twice a week =( Time to prioritize my life a little.

    ReplyDelete