Monday, September 17, 2012

Sunday: Long Run + Resisting Temptations + Finding a Church

I'm really falling behind on this blog, y'all!  Here's my post of Sunday's endeavors.

Diet Tip of the Day:  Joe wanted to go to Wing House to watch the WWE pay-per-view last night, so I decided to go with him.  I looked up the menu beforehand and decided I'd order a wrap for dinner.  It was delicious, and I'm sure much fewer calories than wings!  The only downside was I wanted a side other than potato chips (like fresh fruit or even sweet potato fries), but all they had was chips or curly fries.  I resisted the urge to eat the whole wrap and all of the chips, as well as to chow down on Joe's order of chili cheese curly fries.  While I did sample a few, I figured eating 6 fries was better than sitting there staring at his plate of deliciousness.  The more I read about healthy eating, the more I'm learning to resist temptation by not completely cutting all junk out.  A little bit is better than craving it, then pigging out in a moment of weakness.

Today's Training: Since we went out for dinner last night around 7:30, I decided to go for my long run of the week around 5pm.  Note to self: it is REALLY hot and humid in Florida during that time, and there was not much shade on my route to save me from the sun's strong rays.  BUT, using a run 3.5 mins/walk 1 min pattern, I managed to run 3 miles in 31 minutes!  For someone who is still in training, I'd say that's a pretty good time.  I was really encouraged after my run that maybe I really can do this half-marathon thing after all!  I really couldn't have done that, though, if I hadn't dedicated my run to my prayer time.  That really helps me get through the run, and it helps me to practice trusting in God for all things!  My theme verse for next week, inspired by this run, will be Philippians 4:13, since I really can do all things (i.e. this training) through HIM who is definitely strengthening me each and every time I'm out there.  Praise God!

Faith Find:  Moving to a new area means finding a new church.  We've tried three different churches, and I really like them all in a different way.  I think the deciding factor will be if we can find a Sunday school class or a small group to get plugged in to where we aren't the youngest people by 15+ years.  Since we live in retirement community, that seems to be the case with every church service we've attended.  While finding a new church is hard, it's still important to me to commit to going every Sunday.  That worship time and Bible study are both things that I crave each week, and they are a great way to strength my commitment to growing my faith.  If anyone knows a good church in the Daytona/Port Orange area, let me know!  I'd love to try it out :)

Back later for tales of my rest day and some technology I use to track my progress!

No comments:

Post a Comment