Thursday, August 1, 2013

Running Updates

Today marks the one-month-away point for Half Marathon #2: Rock 'n Roll Virginia Beach.
While I haven't really stuck to my training plan when it comes to getting in long runs, I'm really going to push for upping my mileage this last month of training.  Like last time, as long as I get up to long runs of 11-12 miles, I think I'll be all right.  I've done well with increasing my weekday mileage this week with a 4-mile run on Tuesday (had been doing 3-mile runs on the weekdays) and 2 miles yesterday.  I have another 4 miles scheduled with a weekend long run of 9 miles to finish out the week.
Tuesday and Wednesday's mileage/time
(10:17 was my average pace on Wednesday)
My goal for this race is to run it in under 2:30.  That means that I'll need to average just under a 11:30 minute/mile pace.  During my training runs, I have noticed a faster pace than my training runs for the Disney Princess Half (where my average pace was 11:45).  I think I'll be able to reach my goals even though I didn't really stick to my plan.  I guess we'll see what happens!

I have some other race-related news to share: Yesterday, I signed up for Half Marathon #3!
Image Source
The Lighthouse Loop Half Marathon in Ponce Inlet, FL at the end of October!  The race benefits the high school athletic departments in the area, and, as a teacher, I'm definitely for supporting students' extracurriculars!  The race map will also include some beautiful scenery and is very flat.  The post-race party sounds great, as well.

I'm also looking in to signing up for the Disney Princess Half Marathon through a charity group.  That means that I'll get a race entry, hotel stay, and other great perks while raising money for a great cause.  I'm prayerfully considering this option for entering the race, as well as which organization to support!

***Disclaimer: I am in no way an expert on training for a half marathon, nor am I a certified running coach.  If you are training for a half marathon, please train properly for your body!  Consult with a doctor before training for any sort of race.

Question for you:  What races are you running in soon?  What races have you done recently?

No comments:

Post a Comment