Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Book Review: Bossypants

Happy Tuesday!  This week is going to be crazy due to the end of the quarter.  End of the Quarter = every student scrambling to get the grade they wanted all along but never worked for it during the nine weeks.  That's a bit of an exaggeration, but there are certainly some students that are doing that right now!

That means...lots of grading for me!  So, instead of a normal post (since there was no workout today), let's talk about a funny book, shall we?

This Saturday, I finished reading Bossypants by Tina Fey.
Image Source
I think Tina Fey is hilarious, so when I'd heard she'd written an autobiography, I added it to my "to read" list.  That was about a year ago, and I finally crossed it off my list!

The book tells about Tina's life growing up, getting in to the world of show business, and balancing family with work.  The writing is very entertaining, and it reads as though Tina is just talking to you.

I thought the book was hilarious, and it was a very quick read.  She talked a lot about her show 30 Rock (understandably), which I don't watch.  That made those sections a little harder to get through, but they were still entertaining.

She tells a lot of stories about her interactions with different celebrities, and it makes her seem like such a real person.  She also has some interesting insight into being a woman in a male-dominated field.

My favorite chapter was when she was talking about playing Sarah Palin on SNL.  I didn't see all of the skits, but it was interesting reading about how they came about and some of the things she experienced while playing that character.

If you're familiar with Tina Fey, this is a definitely a book you should read.  It's funny, light-hearted, and gives you a behind-the-scenes look at her life and work in show business.  Two thumbs up!

Question for you: Have you read this book?  If so, what was your favorite part?  If not, is there an autobiography that's a must-read?
I'm really in to reading autobiographies right now, so any recommendations would be great!

I'll be back tomorrow to talk about this week's focus on strength workouts, as well as some new foods I'm trying!

1 comment: