Friday, March 22, 2013

Spaghetti Squash + Body Weight Workouts

First off, Tina Reale (Best Body Bootcamp creator) has a feature on her blog called Fit Friends.  This week, I am her Fit Friend!  Check out the feature to learn a little more about me here.

By the way, sign-ups are going on for Round 5 of Best Body Bootcamp.  I'd love for you to join me in this great 8-week workout program!
Sign up here!
Ok, moving on...




I have a new-to-me food to share with you today....
Spaghetti Squash!

I've heard a lot about this yellow veggie, but I've been scared to try it.  I don't really like squash (the consistency is weird to me...), so I didn't really know if this would be the best thing for me to try.  Chelsea @ Chelsea Eats Treats posted about how to cook one recently, and after reading her post, I decided to give it a try.

I found a spaghetti squash in the produce section.  Joe wasn't too interested, so since he's on his way to his boys spring break trip, I decided to cook it up tonight.  I followed Chelsea's directions for roasting the spaghetti squash since I had the time.

It was really tough to slice in half, and I was surprised that it looked a lot like a pumpkin on the inside.

After drizzling with some EVOO (extra virgin olive oil), salt, and pepper as Chelsea suggested, I set the two halves in my roasting pan and let it roast for about 45 minutes at 375 degrees.
You'll know it's ready when you can press on the outside and it gives.  I had to put them back in for about 5 minutes, so it roasted for 50 minutes total.  Then, you scrap out the insides!  My suggestion: only keep the parts under the top layer (the more stringy, less slimy pieces).
I was surprised with how much I was able to scrap out!  It didn't look like much when I first cut it open, but I only scraped out that one half and filled my bowl.

I served it with sliced green peppers and an Italian sausage, topped with a little oregano and salt.  Overall, I really enjoyed the meal!  I think I drizzled a little too much EVOO before cooking.  Next time, I'm going to decrease that amount.

I would definitely recommend trying spaghetti squash!  Just to warn you, it does not really tasty like pasta, but it is a good substitute.  After that bowl, I was pretty full.  Plus, this meal really helped me go over the 7+ servings for fruits and veggies I needed for a point toward the SBBC!  Score!





I let my food settle for a little bit, then did a little at-home workout.  Amanda at Run to the Finish (host of the Spring Bootie Buster Challenge) posts body weight workouts of the week for extra points in the SBBC.

This was tough since I'm still a bit sore from BodyPump on Wednesday.  I'm glad that my relaxed evening on the couch included a workout.

Question for you: Have you tried spaghetti squash?  If so, what do you think?

So, today was the start of Spring Break, and tomorrow I'm heading to Seattle to see my good friend Kristie!  I may pop in tomorrow morning, but I also haven't packed or cleaned the house yet.  If not, I'll probably blog at least once (maybe twice) from Seattle.  

No comments:

Post a Comment