Sunday, October 21, 2012

Runner's High + Lukewarm Christian + Portion Control

Today's Training
I made sure that I did my long run for my half marathon training today.  I've only really been running once a week, and I know that isn't going to help me finish a half marathon.  So, I forced myself to do a 4 mile run today.

I decided to just kind of wing it when it came to a route and run in different ways I haven't done before.  I started doing a 3:1 run:walk ratio, then around minute 27 I began a 3:1.5 run:walk ratio.  I really thought by the end of my run that I had only gone about 4 miles (if that) in 48 minutes.  Once I logged my route on MapMyRun, here's what I found out:
What?!?!  I was shocked!  A run that I didn't think was going so well turned out to be awesome!  Keep in mind, too, that I'm in Florida and I ran at 2:00 this afternoon.

I'm going to ride my runner's high after this great run and begin next week's training schedule tomorrow with an upper body workout.  That'll give my legs a chance to rest, but I'll start the week off on the right foot because I'm still so excited about my run!

Faith Find
I finished Weird by Craig Groeschel today.  I'm really glad I read that book!  It reminded me of some great things that I know I need to work on in order to be a disciple of Jesus.  The book ended referencing a verse in Revelations that I've heard many times before:
“I know all the things you do, that you are neither hot nor cold. I wish that you were one or the other!  But since you are like lukewarm water, neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth!" Revelation 3:15-16

It made me think...am I a lukewarm Christian?  Are my thoughts, words, and actions all reflecting that I am a follower of God?  

If I were to be real honest, I would say that yes, as of now, I'm a lukewarm Christian.  For the last few years, I've just been going through the motions.  I have the right beliefs and I do the right things on Sundays, but I haven't been spending my time as God would have me do so.

But, that's what this whole recommitment is all about.  I realize my shortcomings, I realize that I need to make a change, and, most importantly, I WANT to make that change!  I want my words, actions, and beliefs to line up.  I want people to know that I am a disciple of Jesus instead of me having to tell them. I pray that, with God's help, I will be able to do that very soon.  I know what changes need to be made, and I will make them (God willing).

Diet Tip of the Day
It's no secret: I would much rather go out to eat or order take-out than cook everyday during the weekends.  Not only is this a problem for the wallet, but it's a problem for eating healthy.  One of the reasons food at restaurants tastes so great is the way they prepare it--in lots of butter, fat, oils, etc.  But, as someone who is trying to eat healthy (and not cooking every day), this increases the calories, fat, sodium, etc....things I'm trying to avoid!

To combat both of these problems (money and eating healthy), I cut my entree (and sides) in half right when I get it.  That way, I can order what I want, but I'm only eating half the calories.  And then, when I don't feel like cooking another night during the week (or when Joe wants a late-night snack), I don't have to go anywhere.  I can just eat my leftovers!

While this is not a revolutionary idea, I thought I'd share it with you all as my diet tip of the day.  It's something I do, and if it helps just one person, I'll be happy with that.

Question for you today:  Have you had a great workout this week that really energized you to keep to your workout schedule?

Back tomorrow with my runner's-high-induced workout, and hopefully a diet tip and a faith find, too!  Hope you have a wonderful Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment